The greatest exponent of...the bass guitar

Isolated bass from Heart of the Sunrise by Yes. Wonderful rumbling Rickenbacker.

1 Like

Bletch has lost control of his own thread!

People having random guesses, naming several, making their own rules - it’s chaos.

I’ve seen more structure at a children’s jamming workshop for contemporary jazz.

3 Likes

The RaleighBoy, nominating one and only one greatest exponent of the bass guitar is the main rule.

Mentioning others is not a problem, as long as you’ve mentioned one and only one greatest exponent of the bass guitar, just don’t rank them.

At least nobody is making contemporary references to behatted comedians that died in the 80s.

What like John Belushi?

The obvious problem with a thread of this type, as the Balti Stench himself has hinted above, is that so much comes down to taste. For example, I find myself unable to comment on the bass-playing qualities of Brian Harris (I think that was the name), as I find myself completely unable to listen to more then three seconds of Iron Maiden. I did try. To a lesser extent, this applies to the Stench’s own choice of boss bassist; I find Japan’s music more than a tad irritating, so listening to several wholse songs in order to distinguish the merits of the bass part is not easy.

SImilarly, I’m sure that many would listen to a few bars of Back Door’s raucous sax-bass-drums sound and quickly hit the stop button. Just how it is, I guess.

Anyhow, here’s a couple of tunes from Brian Eno’s LP Another Green World, both of which feature some nice fretless bass played by Percy Jones…

So you want us to pick our two favourites?

I’ll give it some thought…

2 Likes

Not just a soloist…Jaco was such a subtle and sympathetic accompanyist…

Two great singers…one voice, one bass.

Yep, I can see that.

But he’s gone from mentalist to (a little bit) meh.

I guess you’re damned if you do and damned if you don’t.

An unquestionable talent, and having read up a little on him, he was a troubled soul. Some of his performances give the impression that he’s completely strung out on something. Perhaps his illness and the drugs were his muse? He was certainly original.

1 Like

Another bassist worthy of mention who definitely fits into the ‘more impact than talent’ category is Peter Hook of Joy Division / New Order.

Powerful and unusual use of high notes and chords with droning open strings…

1 Like

I think I’ll go for Rick Wakeman, or Jean Michel Jarre.

Foxtrot Oscar Romeo Bravo.

Originally posted by @saintbletch

Originally posted by @Rallyboy

I think I’ll go for Rick Wakeman, or Jean Michel Jarre.

Foxtrot Oscar Romeo Bravo.

Charlie Uniform November Tango :lou_is_a_flirt:

Gary ‘Gazza’ Johnson is the bassist’s name. Probably should have said it.

Are China Crisis to bands what Brewdog* is to beers on this forum?

They seem to get a disproportionately high number of mentions.

Hmm. I think we’ve been infiltrated by flash marketing mobs.

*The best brewery in the world.

1 Like

Ha , no I wasn’t in the Sisters but I do know a few guys who played with them over the years. Mostly the Sisters was made up of session musicians who took various ammounts of time to fall out with Eldritch. He gotthrough so many drummers he plumped for a drum machine in the end.

I did however play in a sort of gothic band for a while that supported Christian Death on tour ( after I left) but that was as close as it came. One cover we always did was ‘Lucretia’ and I did used to play bass for that. As I said a piss easy riff but it was a cool song to play.

Did consider lying but you guys would have seen through that :wink:

Saw a bloke with a Sisters teeshirt only yesterday, I gave him that Gothic nod of approval, he stared blankly.

Still a cool band.

1 Like

yeah its quite funny sometimes being in my position. I saw a disaffected youth last week who came in wearing a Metallica Tshirt.

‘Cool’ I said

‘hnrugh’ he said and rolled his eyes in a ’ like you know who they are you fat bald old fart’ kinda way

‘I’ve seen them 6 times, first time was at the Hammy O on the Justice tour’. Awesome gig.

Watching his face go through the various contortions of disbelief , respect and surprise was fun

3 Likes

You wanna be in my position at gigs…people think I’m one of the band’s grandad.

1 Like

Perhaps he was wearing the t-shirt ironically?

And perhaps the newly found respect you detected as his face contorted was because you had inserted a digit inside his body?

You actually made yourself look like Bob Tryhard, or worse, an old, fat and bald Bob Tryhard.

1 Like