:southampton: 🖼 Southampton - Past in pictures - places & people

Originally posted by @Sfcsim

Ah, Henrys Records in St. Mary Street.

It was a fantastic record shop - the staff seemed to know everything about music, and I never knew them not to have a record any of my mates wanted of any genre. (And they wanted some pretty strange ones sometimes)

3 Likes

2 Likes

This is from a Facebook group I joined.

I think that’s my old house, number 76, on the far left. 1930s, before the Second World War.

Same street, different world.

1 Like

Great photo that is! There is a lack of flower road photos in the archives.

Originally posted by @Sfcsim

Oh dear this has sad connotations for me. My poor mother contracted polio after seeing this film and it was widely believed that she actually ‘caught’ the virus at the cinema.

Messi, Aguero et al owe it all to the Saints!

The article in the St James’s Gazette reads:

FOOTBALL AS PART OF MILITARY TRAINING. As the result of the tour of the Southampton Football Club in South America, the Minister of War in Argentina has determined that football shall be taught in every regiment. The team, which reached home on Saturday, won every match in a programme involving a journey of 14,000 miles. The British Minister at Buenos Ayres (sic) presided over a farewell banquet to them. Whilst they were playing at Monte Video (sic), fighting was taking place between Revolutionists a short distance from the city, and the team experienced great dificulty in obtaining passports to enable them to rejoin their ship.

2 Likes

I notice that as well as travelling to the other side of the world (a slow process in1904) Saints played their last 5 matches in 10 days involving no doubt more extensive travelling.

Can you imagine the bellyaching should any professional team be asked to do that in this day and age?

2 Likes

2 Likes

Old Plummers.

2 Likes

The good olde The Dell

3 Likes

3 Likes

The old Eagle. Used to drink in here a fair bit when at college, then again when I had my season ticket 2001-2005. Now a convince store.

I cannot work this one out. It looks like the old Plummers building, as it does not look right for T&G, as there are no buildings to the left of it. I am going to say that T&G used to be in the Plummers building?

The old boating lake.

2 Likes