SAINTS v SPURS .... Build up and match thread

Oh, Lawro has us down to lose, I concur

Lawro's opponent for the Boxing Day fixtures is You Me At Six singer Josh Franceschi.Southampton v Tottenham

Southampton v Tottenham (19:45 GMT)

The good thing from Southampton’s point of view is that it does not look like they will miss injured striker Charlie Austin - they have a few other options up front.

Jay Rodriguez and Sofiane Boufal have done well recently and I think Shane Long gives a lot for the team too - he is not a regular goalscorer but he would chase a paper bag down the street all day for you, even in a hurricane.

Saints will be a test for Tottenham on Mauricio Pochettino’s return to his old club, but his Spurs side have won their past two games and I just get the impression that they might just go on a bit of a run again now.

Lawro’s prediction: 0-2

Josh’s prediction: The only member of the Spurs team that I would have at Arsenal is Hugo Lloris - partly because he is a classy goalkeeper and also because I am half-French so I have a bit of soft spot for French players, even when they play for Spurs - I felt the same about David Ginola too.

As an Arsenal fan I am obviously going to go for a Southampton win here anyway, but I don’t think it will be as comfortable as I would like it to be. Christian Eriksen has hit a bit of form for Spurs and they will cause Saints a few problems. 2-1

Originally posted by @BTripz

Oh, Lawro has us down to lose, I concur

Lawro's opponent for the Boxing Day fixtures is You Me At Six singer Josh Franceschi.Southampton v Tottenham

Southampton v Tottenham (19:45 GMT)

The good thing from Southampton’s point of view is that it does not look like they will miss injured striker Charlie Austin - they have a few other options up front.

Jay Rodriguez and Sofiane Boufal have done well recently and I think Shane Long gives a lot for the team too - he is not a regular goalscorer but he would chase a paper bag down the street all day for you, even in a hurricane.

Saints will be a test for Tottenham on Mauricio Pochettino’s return to his old club, but his Spurs side have won their past two games and I just get the impression that they might just go on a bit of a run again now.

Lawro’s prediction: 0-2

Josh’s prediction: The only member of the Spurs team that I would have at Arsenal is Hugo Lloris - partly because he is a classy goalkeeper and also because I am half-French so I have a bit of soft spot for French players, even when they play for Spurs - I felt the same about David Ginola too.

As an Arsenal fan I am obviously going to go for a Southampton win here anyway, but I don’t think it will be as comfortable as I would like it to be. Christian Eriksen has hit a bit of form for Spurs and they will cause Saints a few problems. 2-1

The good news is Merson is predicting 2-1 to Spurs.Last Sunday he predicted a Bournemouth win.He rarely gets Saints scores correct.When he has us down to win as he did against Hull we lost.So it is looking good for us and Spurs are not playing as well as last season.They made hard work of beating Burnley last Sunday.

1 Like

I’m with Josh(did i tell you i’m an Arsenal fan) on this. 2-1 with Eriksen getting theirs. Our goals will come from, well, anyone of 12 or so players. I have no idea who Cluade will start with. I’ll go for Long(due a start and a goal) and VVD(beating Toby to the header).

I had a dream last night that jay scored a long distance screamer. The replay did show the goalie should have saved it though.

2 Likes

Those dodgy dream keepers, always getting beaten from crazy angles.

I fancy us to win this.

Just.

Yeah.

2-1.

2 Likes

I’m going 2-1 Saints. We have a great home record in 2016 having only lost to Chelsea in the league. 2 home games and 6 more points please Father Christmas!

2 Likes

If Claude gets his tactics right and gets VVD to drop the diagonal ball over the top for Long and Jay to chase then I fancy our chances. A slow passing approach will play in to their hands.

Claude and I turned a corner recently in our relationship (the acquiesce over the half time introduction of Steven Davis) so I trust that he will get his tactics on point! Therefore I’m going for a 2-1 Saints victory!

Merry Christmas to my fellow Saints fans! :santa:t3:

3 Likes

The first sentence of this is spot on. A tactic that used to work when we were marching up the leagues. Sir Lambert used to do the damage then. The issue in the Stoke game was the fact we did not get in behind them.

Canal + here in Poland giving this the big build up all last night in their ads.

Billing it as…

A shoot out between Harry Kane

And Charlie Austin.

Bless.

Pub sorted for the game but it’s bloody freezing here cold windy & damp

That’s that then, other teams always end their runs against us!!

1 Like

The fact I want us to win so bad is probably not a good sign…

I’d take a draw. A win would be super fucking sweet though.

1 Like

Just to amend my prediction for tonight, it will not be raining so forget the umbrella’s.

… bodes well for the rest of my prediction :lou_facepalm_2:

1 Like

It’s a bit nippy though.

2 - 1 to our brave boys…it’s written in the porridge. :lou_lol:

1 Like

I’m changing my prediction due to some inside knowledge. We will win 1-0

Strong starting line up tonight

SAINTS TEAM NEWS

Team to play Tottenham: Forster, Cedric, Fonte, van Dijk, Bertrand, Ward-Prowse, Romeu, Davis, Boufal, Rodriguez, Redmond.

Subs: Taylor, Yoshida, Long, Tadic, Martina, Reed, Hojberg

SPURS TEAM NEWS

Team to play Southampton: Lloris, Walker, Dier, Vertonghen, Rose, Wanyama, Dembele, Sissoko, Eriksen, Alli, Kane.

Subs: Vorm, Davies, Wimmer, Winks, Nkoudou, Son, Janssen

First attack.

Yas Virgil*

* Yas is a word I learned from my daughter. It means yes.**

** I am also woke af.

Out pressing a Poch team. Lovely stuff.

3 Likes

We’re playing nicely. Well done VVD, had him as first goal scorer at 29/1.

2 Likes