šŸ» Real Ale / Lager / Cider or Spirits?

As for myself, it sounds bad but Iā€™ll pretty much drink anything.

Like cider, lager, IPA. Slowly developing a taste for ale. Love a drop of red, not quite as keen on white but will still drink it.

Love rum and whisky, though gin is really the only absolute no no.

Iā€™m not a total lush, honest.

Originally posted by @KRG

Liar, you were on the pints mid-week with me.

Trying to impress?

Ha! Caught out!

Though I missed off ā€˜at a gigā€™ from my detailed list of drinking scenarios. ā€˜At a gigā€™, usually involves bottles of Peroni.

I am seriously trying to follow a no alcohol Sunday - Wednesday rule. Itā€™s hard!!

Ah, I do love a silly sunday.

Originally posted by @KRG

Originally posted by @Coxford_lou

I am seriously trying to follow a no alcohol Sunday - Wednesday rule. Itā€™s hard!!

Ah, I do love a silly sunday.

Lunchtime Sunday is acceptable. Post 6pm - water only.

Thereā€™s something masochistically wonderful about an all day session on a Sunday. Knowing how awful you are going to feel on Monday am.

Feck it, Mondays are shite anyway. Iā€™d rather be hungover at work and get paid for it then waste a day off hungover on the sofa.

1 Like

I believe it was the comedian Doug Stanhope that implored people to start drinking more during the week i.e. stop being hungover in your own time and do it on somebody elseā€™s. :wink: :innocent:

6 Likes

I mentioned earlier in this thread that rum is my spirit of choice and that I prefer traditional dark rum to spiced. However, last night, here in Menorca, I tried a local honey rum for the first time and I must say it is a fantastic tipple for a sultry hot summerā€™s evening.

Also, I donā€™t know if there are any fellow vapers amongst us, but I reckon vanilla-flavoured vapes enhance the taste of lager.

We had some friends round for a barbecue the other week, and it was my birthday the next day. It was late (or early) and everyone had had their fill of longer drinks so my son said heā€™d get me a bottle of ā€˜scotchā€™.

He disappeared inside and then passed me a box wrapped up and addressed to ā€œThe best Dad in the world, isnā€™t it?ā€.

Yes thatā€™s right, Welsh whisky.

What I do know is that itā€™s lovely, subtle, very mild, quite flowery, and it doesnā€™t last long.

3 Likes

If I am pushed towards lager - this is the way forward

I tend to put away vats of red wine, but I do like a drop of draught Hoegaarden when the weather is hot. If I am drinking bitter Iā€™ll go for Doombar.

Well Iā€™ve had a really busy week on call, so itā€™s time for a Stella!

1 Like

Our local barmaid is called Stella. She will be delighted!

Iā€™ll have a Stella please Stellaā€¦it sounds good to me Sadoldgit!

Larger - kronenbourg1664

Ale - Tangled Foot or Spitfire

Short - dark rum/spiced run or Gordonā€™s Gin

Wine - Red, the deeper red the better.

Had some **incredible ** sour beers at the Great British Beer Fest in Olympia last week. Some were Ā£8 - 10 a bottle mindā€¦ :zipper_mouth:

1 Like

This weekend, Iā€™m going on an event at one of Papā€™s favourite places - the Isle of Icke :lou_eyes_to_sky:- whereby people travel on vintage buses from pub to pub sampling the local real ales.

Anyway, I seem to recall that it was Ant who said that heā€™d yet to discover a real ale from a PO postcode that was worth drinking; so with, I believe, 3 breweries on the Island, all with PO postcodes, Iā€™m gonna put Antā€™s findings to the test and will report back with my own findings in due course. Anything you want me to try out?

Iā€™m doing this for you Ant!

PS. If it wasnā€™t you, Ant, that said PO postcode beers were rubbish then ignore the above.

1 Like

It was me, well remembered!

I genuinely forgot that the island has its post served by the skates! Which is terrible as I have relatives living on the Isleā€¦

From memory the big ā€˜POā€™ breweries on the mainland are Oakleaf and Irving. Both seem to mostly produce bland bitters. The sort where youā€™d walk into a country pub and think ā€˜well thatā€™s probably better than a generic lager so letā€™s go for thatā€™. OK, but nothing ground-breaking.

Looking at Untappd Iā€™ve tried 3 Oakleaf beers and 3 Irving ones, including a seasonal ale which I thought very little of.

Not sure that thereā€™s any IOW ales Iā€™m specifically interested in but Iā€™d be genuinely interested to learn whether my perception, currently based upon that small sample, is correct or not!

1 Like

Aha! Looks like Iā€™ve had a Goddards beer - theyā€™re based in Ryde I believe? That was a Storm which Iā€™ve logged as a fairly typical golden ale. Be worth knowing whether the rest of their range is any good. Think Iā€™ve seen a few in Co-op stores that have a local selection.

Breaking it down, SO has:

Flack Manor, Vibrant Forest, Itchen Valley, Flowerpots, Upham, Botley and Bowman.

PO has:

Irving, Oakleaf, Brewhouse & Kitchen (though tenuous as itā€™s a chain and theyā€™re opening one in Southampton soon), Goddards, Yatesā€™ and Island.

Thatā€™s a definite win - and in quality, not just numerosity.

1 Like

Thereā€™s also Brewhouse & Kitchen in Dorchester and Poole so the PO link can be easily blown out of the water. Mind you they all brew their own stuff so I guess they could genericise it down.

I keep meaning to go to the one in Poole but keep failingā€¦

The best micro-brewery I have ever been to was a place called Rock Bottom in Bellevue, Seattle. I was in Seattle for a week and spent 4 nights in there sampling their range of ales, none disappointedā€¦