PapsWeb Our Tune Resurrection

Not sure if you had ever mentioned the football before, B-Stench. But I do hope to be regaled by tales of your footballing prowess, exploits and general derring-do in future posts.*

That is a great post and no mistake. I’ve always loved that LP, though Plaistow Patricia is actually one of the weaker songs in my view (I remember reading that Chas Jankel refused to collaborate on the music because he didn’t like the massed expletives and subject matter). Billericay Dickie is, without question, the most brilliant piece of extended double entendre ever to be put to music. An absolute delight. My Old Man is a lovely song too - affectionate and whimsical (and I do love a bit of whimsy) without overstepping into mawkishness.

* This may be stretching the truth, or even an outright lie.

1 Like

Back in the early 2000s, the missus and I split up. We remained split up for around three years. Though I could make a series of excuses about being really young, not having an appropriate amount of time to be young, etc, that’s a load of shit. I did the offs for selfish reasons at a time when I didn’t know what I wanted. That’s the truth of the matter. This is the musical story of the inter-ginge-um.

Didn’t take me long to start dating. Ended up going out with one of my best mate’s sister’s friends. Seemed to be everything I was missing; feisty, professionally minded and reasonably smart. In retrospect, it was a complete disaster. I realise now that most relationships are built on the bits you don’t have, and work well when you fill in respective gaps. Having two similarly inclined headstrong people? Nah. Anyway, this girl didn’t have her feet all the way in. She had some ex who was living on the Isle of Wight who popped up in conversation (and in her life) far too often.

It didn’t end well. I got pissed off with the external threat, and on a holiday (which she went on), ended up ditching her for one of her flatmates, and things got very messy. Whatever, this song will always remind me of her.

I realise that some of our posters are personally privy to much of the above. All I’ll say is that I kept names out for a reason.

2 Likes

Oh, and this song will always remind me of her flatmate.

1 Like

These are not your favourite songs, but songs, that place you in a moment in time, throughout your life.

This was inspired by a friend of mine an author called Michael Linford and from the book Music for the end of the world.

If you like music and it is a big part of your life, I would recommend that you read it, pretty good book.

So here goes - Sfcsim 20 songs list for the end of the world, and reasons why.

1. Brown Sugar - Rolling Stones (earliest memory of music was the stones and my dad’s favourite band)

2. Wake me up before you go go - Wham (my sister was crazy about Wham and George Michael, it was always blasting out of the bedroom next to mine)

3. Wild Boys - Duran Duran (my favourite band as a young boy)

4. Pretty Woman - Roy Orbison - (my nan’s favourite artist and the pain I felt for my dad as he listen to it, on the evening of his mothers passing).

5. The only one I know - The Charlatans (my favourite band of the time loved this album on tape)

6. Out of Space - The Prodigy (my first cd was the prodigy experience and this was over played).

7. Run to the hills - Iron Maiden (my first gig to see one of the best live acts in a tiny venue, with a best friend at The Mayflower, Southampton).

8. Battery - Metallica (first festival at Donington 91, where Metallica blew me away, with a couple of mates).

9. Rocket Queen - Guns and Roses (reminds me of my first music show in a stadium, with guns and roses at Wembley 1991, that I went to with my friends)

10. Killing in the name - Rage against the machine (first trip to the Reading festival with a mate and again blown away by this band).

11. Whatever - Oasis (reminds me with lots of live albums of a period of time between 95-98 where Oasis and Brit pop took over my life from Rock/metal)

12. shoot you down - Stone Roses (the time I met my now wife, Liz and the crazy drunk moments that followed… Until my car money ran out.

13. Wires - Athlete (even though my daughter was born 4 years prior to the release of this song and she only had to stay in hospital for 1 night with a little fluid on here lungs. This song struck a cord with me).

14. New York, New York - Frank Sinatra (getting engaged to Liz and where I proposed. This song also popped up in drunken nights when we first met).

15. Yellow - Coldplay (reminds me of the cup final 2003…it was ours and the football gods said NO! Great cup run and great day).

16. Mr Brightside - The Killers (drunken nights out started again when my daughter was old enough for a childminder. Reminds me of a little indie club in Southampton called Lennons. Rum and coke £1 a go!

17. Time is running out - MUSE (first festival since 96, and the first with Liz, and MUSE blew me away on the main stage in 2004 It kick started a few years of Reading/V Festivals, sometimes both until and including 2007.

18. Something Changed - Pulp (my wedding day, what a fantastic day, and one of the greatest moments of my life, nearly 10 years ago. This was our first dance, but the lyrics are so true… Fate!

19. Master of the puppets - Metallica (went to see them again in 2009 and a further 5 times since, mostly with Gary Oxley and re-kindled my love with rock/metal music).

20. Everlong - Foo Fighters (my favourite song, from my favourite album and band).

Just the one for me, and just because it is obvious - Its The End Of The World As We Know It…REM

This thread is treading very similar ground to this one:-

http://www.sotonians.com/chat/papsweb-our-tune-resurrection

Merge, maybe?

1 Like

Merge away…

Yeah, as the originator of the other thread I’m happy for you to merge them, Pap.

sorry this thread passed me by before, I’m just catching up - but it’s interesting because music is the soundtrack of your life and associates with events, good and bad.

Yes, Tank Park Salute, beautiful! But Rallyboy you idiot, Billy just sings about miners and Thatcher…yeah, that’ll be right!

Check out his other 300 songs, unless you are happily stuck in 1986 - see Brickbat as another little gem, or any of the love songs on Must I Paint You a Picture.

As for Run - I have a little story.

My daughter is a singer, I remember being in the studio listening to her record a vocal for that, not long after her boyfriend had recovered from very serious illness…she put her whole heart into that vocal and I had to leave the room and clear the cups up during that particular recording! Blub, blub.

As for personal stuff, Fast Car by Tracey Chapman reminds me of one debacle, and I cannot listen to New York by REM without thinking of a friend’s funeral I attended which finished with that track - it’s easier to leave than to be left behind…

If you want to check out something poignant and a bit different Youtube Heaven 17s tribute to the late Billy Mackenzie at Glasgow, an amazing rework of Party Fears Two.

I would agree with this, I’m as thick as shit but my wife has a law degree was educated in Europe, speaks accented fluent French and is in a high flying job, me Joe Ordinary but I like that, also it means I am instantly elevated into a comfortable middle class, something I have yearned for from the days of being in the pit.

Opposites can and do attract but it doesnt neccessairly mean its a sure fire winner but it can, I have been engaged three times and they have all been very different.

Is Barry a parody?

Originally posted by @Coxford_lou

Is Barry a parody?

A parody of what?

Originally posted by @Barry-Sanchez

Is Barry a parody?

A parody of what?

I dunno. Some kind of Mills & Boon character or something.

Again, there is a fantastic book by a friend of mine Michael Linford called Music for the end of the world. I found this a fantastic read.

At the end of the book it has a section for the 20 songs for the end of the world, that define your life. These are not your favourite songs, but songs that you can relate to your life.

Takes a bit of time, but found it a really good exercise and brought back memories.

Sfcsim’s 20 songs list for the end of the world, and reasons why.

1. Brown Sugar - Rolling Stones (earliest memory of music was the stones and my dad’s favourite band)

2. Wake me up before you go go - Wham (my sister was crazy about Wham and George Michael, it was always blasting out of the bedroom next to mine)

3. Wild Boys - Duran Duran (my favourite band as a young boy)

4. Pretty Woman - Roy Orbison - (my nan’s favourite artist and the pain I felt for my dad as he listen to it, on the evening of his mothers passing).

5. The only one I know - The Charlatans (my favourite band of the time loved this album on tape)

6. Out of Space - The Prodigy (my first cd was the prodigy experience and this was over played).

7. Run to the hills - Iron Maiden (my first gig to see one of the best live acts in a tiny venue, with a best friend at The Mayflower, Southampton).

8. Battery - Metallica (first festival at Donington 91, where Metallica blew me away, with a couple of mates).

9. Rocket Queen - Guns and Roses (reminds me of my first music show in a stadium, with guns and roses at Wembley 1991, that I went to with my friends)

10. Killing in the name - Rage against the machine (first trip to the Reading festival with a mate and again blown away by this band).

11. Whatever - Oasis (reminds me with lots of live albums of a period of time between 95-98 where Oasis and Brit pop took over my life from Rock/metal)

12. shoot you down - Stone Roses (the time I met my now wife, Liz and the crazy drunk moments that followed… Until my car money ran out.

13. Wires - Athlete (even though my daughter was born 4 years prior to the release of this song and she only had to stay in hospital for 1 night with a little fluid on here lungs. This song struck a cord with me).

14. New York, New York - Frank Sinatra (getting engaged to Liz and where I proposed. This song also popped up in drunken nights when we first met).

15. Yellow - Coldplay (reminds me of the cup final 2003…it was ours and the football gods said NO! Great cup run and great day).

16. Mr Brightside - The Killers (drunken nights out started again when my daughter was old enough for a childminder. Reminds me of a little indie club in Southampton called Lennons. Rum and coke £1 a go!

17. Time is running out - MUSE (first festival since 96, and the first with Liz, and MUSE blew me away on the main stage in 2004 It kick started a few years of Reading/V Festivals, sometimes both until and including 2007.

18. Something Changed - Pulp (my wedding day, what a fantastic day, and one of the greatest moments of my life, nearly 10 years ago. This was our first dance, but the lyrics are so true… Fate!

19. Master of the puppets - Metallica (went to see them again in 2009 and a further 5 times since, mostly with Gary Oxley and re-kindled my love with rock/metal music).

20. Everlong - Foo Fighters (my favourite song, from my favourite album and band).

Is Barry a parody?

A parody of what?

More of a Cartland fan myself there Lou, a more plausible storyline and the characters are more rounded.

Is Barry a parody?

A parody of what?

More of a Cartland fan myself there Lou, a more plausible storyline and the characters are more rounded.

I’ve got it - Lady Chatterley’s lover.

Is Barry a parody?

A parody of what?

I’ve got it - Lady Chatterley’s lover.

Probably not, I’d wipe me cock on the curtain and leave…

Kim B redux - crossing the Rubicon

You might want to read part one first.

So, by now I’ve realised that I’ve made an enormous mistake in shunning Kim’s invitation to dance at the school disco. At the very next disco she got asked to dance by Steve W, and after that, they settled into a semi-long-term relationship.

To everyone except me, this seemed like a perfect marriage. They were both good looking - and had both reached puberty years before the rest of us. They were the perfect couple and it made me sick.

Steve was shaving twice a day whilst I was worried if my Sta Pressed trousers made my tiny cock look big enough when I sat down.

Such was the angst of the pre-pubescent teen.

I obviously had to hide my disappointment (about Kim and not my cock) behind a cynicism towards Kim and the fairer sex in general. This helped me to sleep at night, but didn’t stop me holding a candle for her.

In fact, I held that candle most nights if memory serves.

Roll forward 2-3 years, my balls had dropped and whilst I’m still going to school discos, I no longer have the fear of the fairer sex I did in years gone by - I’d become ‘a man’.

I’m also no longer wearing Tonic trousers and tasselled loafers. No, I’m now what you would call a New Romantic. But that doesn’t capture it completely because there is a finer grain definition within that term.

I am, in fact, a massive fan of Japan. This fact sets me apart as an intellectual - a thinking man’s New Romantic if you will. I am therefore predisposed to look down at fans of lesser New Romantic groups, such as, for example, Duran Duran.

Kim - and her friends Jenny * , Sharon and Joanne are all Duranies - fans of Duran Duran. This means that my mates (including Alan Cockhead ** ) and I look down on them.

They, in turn, look down on us and call us queers ***.

Just to set the scene, at this time I am wearing Kung Fu slippers, white socks, Sta Pressed (still), granddad shirts, and old man’s jackets - all topped off with a pair of burgundy **** leg-warmers to match my burgundy fringe *****.

Steve and Kim have split up by now and there is a school disco on Friday. My mates and I lobby Mr Essex, the drama teacher who runs the discos, to play some Japan so that we can at least stand around the edge of the school hall not dancing to something we like as opposed to standing around the edge of the school hall not dancing to something we don’t like.

He is not moved and tells us that it will be the usual chart stuff, plus Hi Ho Silver Lining (which he self-indulgently plays 3-4 times each disco). We sit around and debate boycotting the disco in protest. We lament the short-sightedness of commercial pop, and how young poets like us will never truly be understood. We realise that we’ve got nothing better to do but to turn up, however we agree to boo anything that isn’t intellectual enough for us.

On the night, Kim looks stunning. Properly grown-up, she’s put her hair up revealing a wonderfully smooth neck and just the cutest ears ******. She’s no longer taller than me as my body has started to take on the shape and size that it was meant to be.

Looking at her, I realise there and then that whilst we’re in the middle of the New Romantic Wars, I’d like to do my bit for peace.

And so it was that when this song came on…

…I literally and metaphorically crossed the floor and ‘danced’ with Kim, Jenny, Sharon and Joanne.

It taught me a great lesson in diplomacy, and after some negotiation, my mates joined me and we each paired off with one of the girls - except Brett who was really ugly and very mental. Very mental. Seriously.

Kim and I saw each other for the next six months or so and, despite having an enormous crush on her very sexy Mum, it seemed to work quite well.

It didn’t last, and in part three I’ll complete the story of sexual tension that drove us apart, brought us together and ultimately drove us apart again.

Listening to Rio brings all this back as if it were yesterday.

* Jenny’s brother Andy used to use the most ridiculous similes - once, when he wanted to suggest that his Dad was a heavy smoker, he told me that his dad “smoked like a horse”.

** True story

*** It was the 80s

**** Pronounced Berr Gundy

***** This is hilarious to anyone that has met me via the MDD sessions - as I no longer have a fringe to dye

****** Isn’t it funny what you remember?

2 Likes

Just realised that the link to part one doesn’t work, so here’s part one.

an excellent story, bletch. I look forward to the next installment. One question though - what is the starred word meant to be in this bit:

“wonderfully smooth neck and just the cutest ears******.”

earshit doesn’t fit, so I’m struggling to think of what else it could be. Earspunk?

1 Like