🗓 On this date in history

Originally posted by @Sfcsim

1996:

Saints beat Man U 6-3 at The Dell. I need not say anymore.

How many people still punt the line that United wore those grey shirts in that loss?

Sourced by the Automatic News Thread

Sourced from A tweet by SouthamptonFC tweet

@SouthamptonFC - Southampton FC

#OnThisDay in 1996, #SaintsFC recorded an unforgettable 6-3 victory over #MUFC at the Dell. Watch all six goals: https://grabyo.com/g/v/BNMJdZ1a4x5

Retweets: 44

Favourites: 37

…inclusively given breath to by Optimus trousers…beta v1.6

That bit of skill and chip from MLT was sublime. I think the grey shirts thing was when we beat them 3-1 and were 3-0 up at half time?

Indeed it was, the year after the 6-3 IIRC

Same year, previous season, wasn’t it? The 3-1 was late in the 95-96 season, the 6-3 the following season. Pretty sure that was it.

I remember talking to a chap a few years back (Manc fan, of course) who was at the 6-3 game but swore blind that it was also the notorious grey shirts match. Weird.

1 Like

Should the sub-under Butler really be showing the residents up? Really?

It’s amazing how many Mancs delude themselves with that myth! Being between 2 seasons on the trot by Saints possible can’t happen so it all gets morphed into 1 game.

That was my first game at the dell. Was taken to see Beckham, who was an idol to a 7 year old KRG. Came away a saints convert(ish).

didnt we beat 'em 1-0 the next season too? Davies goal, I think.

1 Like

I missed the 6-3 game. I was at my then partner’s sister’s wedding - in Manchester. 95% of the guests were ardent reds. Could only share the joy with one of the waiters at the reception who was a City fan

I was really annoyed at having to miss that, but it didn;t turn out too bad!

April 13th 1996.

October 27th

Gunman runs amok in West Midlands.
Four people have been killed and four others seriously wounded after a gunman opened fire at two separate locations in the Midlands.
The attacks happened on the Bustleholm estate, Wednesbury and later at a service station in Nuneaton.

1980:

Former T Rex member Steve Took, choked to death on a cherry stone, after some magic mushrooms he had eaten, numbed all sensation in his throat, he was aged 31. Took was also a member of The Deviants with Pink Fairies members Twink and Mick Farren.

Saints beat Fulham 4-2 at SMS after being 0-2 down, with a hat trick from Beattie and one from Ormerod. Wayne Bridge also played his 100 consecutive premier league game.

Here is a photo from today though.

A Palestinian protester jumps over burning tyres during clashes with Israeli troops near the Jewish settlement of Bet El, near the West Bank city of Ramallah

I’ll add one to that, if I may be so bold.

Amy Winehouse released her second and final album, _ Back to Black._

1 Like

2013:

Fernando Amorebieta (of Fulham) hit Dejan Lovren on the bum.

4 Likes

With a fist!

October 28th.

1962:

World relief as Cuban missile crisis ends
The world has breathed a collective sigh of relief after the superpowers reached an agreement ending the immediate threat of nuclear war.
Russian leader Nikita Khrushchev has agreed to dismantle all Russian missiles based in Cuba and ship them back to the Soviet Union.

1962:

The Beatles played at the Empire in Liverpool, their first gig at Liverpool’s top theatre. Eight acts were on the bill including Little Richard, Craig Douglas, Jet Harris and Kenny Lynch & Sounds Incorporated.

Saints lose 2-0 at layer road. It should have been a draw as 2 minutes from time Rudi Skacel was alone six yards outwith the goalkeeper grounded. But Skacel managed to find the heels of a defenders forlorn attempt to cover the goal. The home side went straight up the other end and made it 2-0. I went to Notts county in the cup in the week where we also lost 2-0… Great week!

1 Like

Rudi Skacel…has he signed yet??

2 Likes
  1. Saints lost 2-1 at ManUre. I was watching from The Stretford End trying not to cheer when Matt put us ahead, but was distracted by a female Saints fan invading the pitch as the players celebrated.
2 Likes

Yes I remember this and the Bobby falling over! This was the next game after smashing QPR away 1-4, Liverpool at home 4-1, then we lose at OT!

Originally posted by @BTripz

Rudi Skacel…has he signed yet??

I knew this would get a reaction and I 100% expected this! I wish he had not signed that day, as anyone else had to score!

October 29th

2003:

Party leader resigns.
The Conservative Party leader, Iain Duncan Smith, has resigned after he narrowly failed to win the backing of his fellow MPs in a vote of confidence.
The result came shortly before 1900 GMT: 75 votes in favour of Mr Duncan Smith, but 90 against.

i was hoping for a repeat today, but nope nothing yet!

1965: (my god, 50 years ago and still sounds great today).

The Who released the single ‘My Generation’ in the UK. The song was named the 11th greatest song by Rolling Stone on their list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time and 13th on VH1’s list of the 100 Greatest Songs of Rock & Roll. It reached No. 2 in the UK, the Who’s highest charting single in their home country but only No. 74 in America.

1966: (this sound very similar to the game in our promotion season a few years back).

Saints were murdered by Leeds - but somehow snatched a 1-0 victory at Elland Road to become the first visiting side to win there in 6 months. Goalkeeper Dave MacLaren was the hero with a string of fine saves with Ron Davies nodding the winner 15 minutes from time.

30th October

Now I think this deserves one all on its own, what a fantastic program and the impact it had, could never happen again.

1938:

Orson Welles causes a nationwide panic with his broadcast of “War of the Worlds”—a realistic radio dramatization of a Martian invasion of Earth.

Orson Welles was only 23 years old when his Mercury Theater company decided to update H.G. Wells’ 19th-century science fiction novel War of the Worlds for national radio. Despite his age, Welles had been in radio for several years, most notably as the voice of “The Shadow” in the hit mystery program of the same name. “War of the Worlds” was not planned as a radio hoax, and Welles had little idea of the havoc it would cause.

The show began on Sunday, October 30, at 8 p.m. A voice announced: “The Columbia Broadcasting System and its affiliated stations present Orson Welles and the Mercury Theater on the air in ‘War of the Worlds’ by H.G. Wells.”

Sunday evening in 1938 was prime-time in the golden age of radio, and millions of Americans had their radios turned on. But most of these Americans were listening to ventriloquist Edgar Bergen and his dummy “Charlie McCarthy” on NBC and only turned to CBS at 8:12 p.m. after the comedy sketch ended and a little-known singer went on. By then, the story of the Martian invasion was well underway.

Welles introduced his radio play with a spoken introduction, followed by an announcer reading a weather report. Then, seemingly abandoning the storyline, the announcer took listeners to “the Meridian Room in the Hotel Park Plaza in downtown New York, where you will be entertained by the music of Ramon Raquello and his orchestra.” Putrid dance music played for some time, and then the scare began. An announcer broke in to report that “Professor Farrell of the Mount Jenning Observatory” had detected explosions on the planet Mars. Then the dance music came back on, followed by another interruption in which listeners were informed that a large meteor had crashed into a farmer’s field in Grovers Mills, New Jersey.

Soon, an announcer was at the crash site describing a Martian emerging from a large metallic cylinder. “Good heavens,” he declared, “something’s wriggling out of the shadow like a gray snake. Now here’s another and another one and another one. They look like tentacles to me … I can see the thing’s body now. It’s large, large as a bear. It glistens like wet leather. But that face, it… it … ladies and gentlemen, it’s indescribable. I can hardly force myself to keep looking at it, it’s so awful. The eyes are black and gleam like a serpent. The mouth is kind of V-shaped with saliva dripping from its rimless lips that seem to quiver and pulsate.”

The Martians mounted walking war machines and fired “heat-ray” weapons at the puny humans gathered around the crash site. They annihilated a force of 7,000 National Guardsman, and after being attacked by artillery and bombers the Martians released a poisonous gas into the air. Soon “Martian cylinders” landed in Chicago and St. Louis. The radio play was extremely realistic, with Welles employing sophisticated sound effects and his actors doing an excellent job portraying terrified announcers and other characters. An announcer reported that widespread panic had broken out in the vicinity of the landing sites, with thousands desperately trying to flee. In fact, that was not far from the truth.

Perhaps as many as a million radio listeners believed that a real Martian invasion was underway. Panic broke out across the country. In New Jersey, terrified civilians jammed highways seeking to escape the alien marauders. People begged police for gas masks to save them from the toxic gas and asked electric companies to turn off the power so that the Martians wouldn’t see their lights. One woman ran into an Indianapolis church where evening services were being held and yelled, “New York has been destroyed! It’s the end of the world! Go home and prepare to die!”

When news of the real-life panic leaked into the CBS studio, Welles went on the air as himself to remind listeners that it was just fiction. There were rumors that the show caused suicides, but none were ever confirmed.

The Federal Communications Commission investigated the program but found no law was broken. Networks did agree to be more cautious in their programming in the future. Orson Welles feared that the controversy generated by “War of the Worlds” would ruin his career. In fact, the publicity helped land him a contract with a Hollywood studio, and in 1941 he directed, wrote, produced, and starred in Citizen Kane—a movie that many have called the greatest American film ever made.

3 Likes