🌿 ❓ Legalise it?

You could argue that alcohol is a gateway drug to cannabis. Many people try their first joint when they are pissed.

Originally posted by @KRG

You can just as easily argue that alcohol is a gateway drug, which will usually be the first thing anyone tries.

Originally posted by @pap

You could argue that alcohol is a gateway drug to cannabis. Many people try their first joint when they are pissed.

Alright, echo.

:lou_wink:

I did read your point, KRG - but I was looking to make the direct link between the two.

I smoked my first bifter when tanked up and hurled my guts up two hours later. Put me off weed for life.

4 Likes

I reckon legalise it. It can’t be any worse than being on the turps. Except for late night trips to the nearest garage to clean them out of wagon wheels and cheddars.

9 Likes

Biff & Booze are a bad combo.

3 Likes

Originally posted by @KRG

Originally posted by @Numptyboi

Originally posted by @pap

I smoked my first bifter when tanked up and hurled my guts up two hours later. Put me off weed for life.

Biff & Booze are a bad combo.

Depends which way round you do it.

Anytime anyone says “I tried weed, but I felt sick” I ask them if they were drunk beforehand. 99% of the time they were.

1 Like

Yeah, I was. Absolutely cunted.

3 Likes

Takes the edge off the smack cravings.

2 Likes

Legalise it. I’ll make my own mind up, thanks.

4 Likes

I think that your personality more than “gateway” products is what will lead to drug and alcohol use and abuse. As far as weed goes there is a lot to say for the relief it can bring to MS sufferers plus there have been very positive links between light cannabis usage and controlling fits in children. As with almost anything, overuse can give you problems, not just limited to staring into the fridge for minutes on end. Its all about balance.

I am (was) a big fan of the “high” that you get from good quality weed but not once mixed with tobacco, it changes everything, the nicoteen rush is way too intense. I think on balance I would like to see it legalised if only to annoy the filth and remove the possibilty of looking into their smug faces when getting nicked for having a dusty old hash lump the size of a pea unknowingly hidden in the bottom of your backpack.

7 Likes

The boy Farron speaks sense, from this Huffington article

This week, Farron said cannabis should be legalised. The policy shift was accompanied by an admission that he had smoked the drug while at university. Did he enjoy it? “I don’t remember,” The MP for Westmorland and Lonsdale laughs.

But he says it is his experience as an MP, not his youthful experimentation, that informs the decision.

“I don’t think my position on this issue is affected by that at all. I think it’s just right to honest about it. For what it’s worth, I take the view that as a liberal you should be against everything that robs you of your liberty and that includes stuff that you’re addicted to,” he says.

He attacks the “politically easy” decision of many MPs to ignore evidence that, he argues, shows legalisation is the way forward. “When you look at the damage done by drug-related crime in so many of our communities even in a pleasant place like the Lake District, it’s real and it’s heart breaking. To ignore the evidence for a change in regulation that could make that better, I think that’s really reprehensible.”

Before he became Conservative leader, Cameron famously held a more liberal position on drugs. “I think it’s focus group driven rather than evidence driven. The same applies to his position on refugees,” Farron says of the prime minister. “He is a follower not a leader.”

“As an MP you see the damage drugs do to families and communities and my motivation is about that. And you see very talented people brought very, very low. Families which were otherwise stable brought to their knees by addiction.”

Legalisation, he says, will enable the government to regulate the strength of the drug so people know what they are smoking while at the same time “completely kicking the legs from underneath” criminals.

“You also take away cannabis from the same marketplace as harder drugs then you significantly reduce the chances of people moving from one to another because you’re just not in the same place when you’re buying it,” he says.

Farron also argues it would mean people who have problems are treated as people with a health problem rather than a criminal one and therefore are more likely to come forward to seek help.

To “cap it all”, he adds, a legalised cannabis market would raise £1bn in taxes which could be ploughed back into police, healthcare and education.

8 Likes

Fuck me, a british politician talking sense on drug policy. That’s nearly knocked me off my chair. Fair play Tim.

Cheers for sharing BBB.

5 Likes

The more I hear from him, the more and more impressed I am by Farron.

Originally posted by @Chertsey-Saint

The more I hear from him, the more and more impressed I am by Fa,rron.

And yet, the thrust of his points have been made by others, including me, and you haven’t been moved.

I don’t mind Farron, and I don’t usually have a great deal of time for evangelical Christians.

I’m not agreeing with his points though…but you don’t have to agree with someone to respect the way they put their opinions forward.

Seems that it’s more cool for MP’s to admit smoking at University etc. I really can’t see Cameron, Gove and Boris passing round a blunt at the Bullingdon Club.

I believe they eschewed marijuana in favour of Pass the Pigs for recreation purposes.

1 Like

It’s one of those policy ideas that makes complete sense, and all think tanks will say the same. Selling it to the people is another thing. Who wants to be the party that legalised cannabis?

There was a political party set up last year to perform just this purpose.

Now we know that under FPTP, they’ll never get in, but UKIP have shown that you can help to bring an issue to prominence without much Westminster representation.