Going back to University

A few of the courses i’m looking at offer a year abroad as part of Erasmus - another big reason why i’m leaning towards studying again as I would love to live abroad for a time but was worried about what I would do for work if I moved elsewhere without having a “base” as such.

If true this will be such a shame. My son spent six months at Athens University under the Erasmus scheme and, as well as great fun, he found the experience well worthwhile

If you do end up in politics, I would like to kindly request that you unfuck everything up please.

5 Likes

As Fatso said, get on the game and rent out that young ass of yours…

1 Like

From my experience of going to uni ‘late’, the best thing was that I had picked a course that I was genuinely passionate about and not a course that matched up to my grades. I had no clue what I wanted to do when I was a teenager, and because I had the benefit of working for a few years in jobs I hated making the decision to ‘better myself’ was the best thing I ever did.

Ask yourself this, ‘Can I see myself doing my current job forever?’ If the answer is no, ask yourself ‘Are there are any jobs that I’d love that don’t need a degree?’ If the answer to this question is also no, and if you are genuinely interested in these courses and you can tick a box of living abroad I say go for it. Like SOS said you can always ditch it if you hate it.

1 Like

Went back to do Biology degree at 27 after pissing up the wall a Humanities degree (having realised it was a fucking pointless degree anyway). Loved Biology and went on to do PhD and post doc work etc. Then went to Uni for a third time to become a teacher and I’m now being punished for being such a workshy cunt for 20 years (actually do enjoy job though really). Advice? Only do it in UK if you’re gonna get a 1st - otherwise it’s not worth it; even with a 1st, most opportunities are effectively restricted to privately educated and connected students who are already 5 years in front of you in the queue. It’s a bummer…

1 Like

I was in exactly the same position as you.

I started an electronics degree straight from school and wasted 2 years. Fannied around for a while and found myself at 24 with no idea how I’d got there. So with the support of a very understanding gf, I went back and did a law degree at university of glasgow, then my post grad legal practice diploma, then got a job as a trainee solicitor.

It really was a tough choice to go back but I figured it would be better to give it a go and quit if I really didn’t like it than to rue what might have been. It also gave me a huge amount of self esteem that I’d been missing. I felt like I’d let everyone down by dropping out, but that’s maybe just my external ego playing tricks.

In the end I quit the traineeship and got work that I could have got without the degree but it gave me much more than just a few letters at the end of my name.

1 Like