🗣 Gigs

Mrs G is going to be happy. Killers tickets bagged for St Marys. Winning christmas :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Part 1 completed. Hawkwind were pretty good, not great but glad I went. Heard great things about Steve Hillage gig in Soton, so am moist with anticipation at seeing him in Scouseland on Saturday. Love and Peace Man.

Bravo. I got some seated tickets for St Mary’s and unreserved standing/seated for Emirates.
Credit card took a hit.

1 Like

Are many of the original line up still with them? Nik Turner on sax? I used to see quite a lot of Nik, he lived nearby when i lived in West Wales. He had a small farm and had regular parties/ mini festivals during the summer months in one of his fields. He was a good lad, loved his puff, beer and mushrooms. At the time i had a small shop dealing in collectable vinyl amongst other things, he was a good customer. Pretty much lost touch now, but i did bump into him last year in Cardigan high street when i was visiting my kids and spent a nice hour or two in a boozer catching up. I was a big fan of Hawkwind back in the day, i remember standing in front of the stage at Margate Dreamland ballroom, gazing in slack jawed wonder at Stacia’s magnificent tits.God, she had a healthy set of lungs!

1 Like

Only Dave Brock is left out of the classic line ups from days gone by.

I think Nik Turner was recently touring with The Hawklords, who I overlooked in Manc recently as I assumed they were a Tribute Band, which in a way I guess they are!!

1 Like

Bought two more for the 2nd Emirates date. 3 Killer’s gigs in 4 days. June cannot come soon enough. It may be our sort of Glastonbury if we don’t get tickets. One of my old pub quiz mates from Southampton is going to come to the Emirates on the Friday with us. She’s coming from Falkirk as she couldn’t get tickets for there or anywhere in the north.

Seen them 3 times. @Intiniki has probably seen them 20 times. They will be superb

Spot on Phil! plus 4 Brandon Flowers gigs.

1 Like

Off to get a Frank Turner fix tomorrow.

Very much looking forward to it!

2 Likes

At the Guidhall? Wear ear plugs as it definitely helps with the sound.

Yeah. Dreadful acoustics.

Interesting gig. First hour was FT sitting (audience seated too) and playing songs from No Man’s Land (exploration of lots of interesting historical personalities) whilst talking about the motive and story being each song.

Interesting but a little self indulgent for my tastes. He’s a clever (Eton educated, grandson of a Knight of the realm - on both sides of the family) bastard but this came across as a little bit “look at how clever I am at history and shizzle”.

The next couple of hours featured the whole band but again all seated and again talking through the story behind a load of songs. This was more interesting because the songs were personal to him and the relationships he’d had.

Overall he is an amazingly talented signer songwriter and guitarist who talks about his petsonal life and challenges with mental health so I love him. Just struggle to get past his political views and self indulgence some times.

Have you listened to his podcast linked to the latest album? He is a history buff and had this idea for some time. I quite enjoyed it and didn’t take it the same way.

1 Like

Second Sotonian to see Frank Turner. We went to the newly reopened Alexandra Palace theatre. We had some good seats (but as ever I had 2 people with exceptionally long torsos and heads so didn’t see much of the stage).
We enjoyed Emily Barker (support). We also enjoyed the No Mans Land section. I had wondered how they’d do their other hits to a sit down audience but they’d played around a little with the songs.Usually the gigs are full on, non stop so it was a nice change. The last 4 songs everyone was up on their feet.
Next Frank Turner is Lost Evenings in Berlin in May.

1 Like

Popped down to Dalston to Earth for Morcheeba. I tooled up thinking it was in the theatre section. Instead it was downstairs in a much smaller venue. Got there early for the support Gathering with Strangers from Manchester who were really good.
Then just shy of 2 hours of Morcheeba. Skye still sounds the same all these years later. I somehow ended up near the front and my partner much further back.

3 Likes

Love that shot where her face is in shadow with the blue lights behind!

1 Like

@Intiniki in finally being able to see artist at gig shocker…

:wink:

Love small venues though, 2 of the best gigs I saw in Dubai were Howard Jones on piano - 200 people room & The Christian’s unplugged about 50 in a 100 person venues!

1 Like

There was a head in the way for a bit but thankfully crowd movement meant it was doable. :grinning:

1 Like

Someone I know has a spare ticket for Ride at Barbican tomorrow night (Mon 9th Dec) if anyone is up for that.

So I also went to Ride at the Barbican tonight. It was seated not that many of us stayed sat down. I thought I was near the back but turned out 5 rows back at the side.
Still amazing live.

Plus I got home in 45 mins which is always a bonus.

1 Like