šŸ—£ Gigs

Yes he seemed really modest and down to earth. Nice chap. Mark Hamilton was funny, as I said to him can I have my photo with you, and also said sorry you must get this all the time. He replied no, no I donā€™t! :joy:

Off to Reading Festival tomorrow. Not 100% sure why now but there we go. They have brought in a few more rules so no rucksacks so I will have to wear all the things I want to keep me warm when itā€™s freezing at night. They also wont let you take in folding chairs. My back wonā€™t like that but sure it will deter oldies in the future (Barry will get his dream under 25s festival).

No chairs? No Pineapples?

What sort of festival is that?

1 Like

Itā€™s better than youā€™d think_ - StandupFruitfreeFest_ is a great weekend.

2 Likes

Damnit spied some people who have chairs (no pineapples seen so far). To be ageist the group do look like theyā€™d need a good sit down. Yay! We arenā€™t the oldest here. Missed all the comedy I wanted to see due to being lazy. So left with Lethal Bizzle, two door cinema club, Bastille followed by Kasabian. Unless someone looks on the line up and suggests something else.

1 Like

Lol

1 Like

ā€œCanā€™t afford the Ā£40 to give Jake Bugg a really good soakingā€ ā€¦classic. :lou_lol:

Pete Doherty. Legend.

Ended his set at Victorius in Southsea last night with the wordsā€¦

Thank you SOUTHAMPTON

3 Likes

First of two this week, tonight.

Tonight, off to see lo-fi lovlies Beach Fossils.

Then, on Friday taking me maā€™ to see Interpol. Anniversary show of Turn on the Bright Lights, so that should be fun. Even if I do have to trek up to Ally fuckin Pally.

Watching Dan Oā€™Farrell in a pub in Warsash at the moment. Lots of new songs and heā€™s sounding good.

1 Like

PS could someone copy this to the tipsy on a Friday thread to save me the bother.

1 Like

As if 2 last week wasnā€™t enough, taking krGF to see Jessie Ware tonight.

Itā€™s a new venue for me (I think), in the Islington Assembly hall. So looking forward to checking that out.

Iā€™m sure Ms Ware will also be great, as she always is.

I see that elbow and John Grant are playing some gigs but theyā€™re at huge venues and thatā€™s put me right off. Shame.

2 months away yet ā€¦ but Ocean Colour Scene at The Irish Village in Dubai prob my next gig, unless you include HopFest also at Irish Village where a few local bands are playing. Hopefully with enough beer inside of me, the DJ will play Town Called Malice and Iā€™ll entertain fellow @dubaisaints posse with some bad dad dance moves!!

Does Steve Craddock still play with OCS?

Maybe he could be talked into playing Town Called MAlice, he probably knows how - being part of Wellerā€™s band.

We headed down to On Blackheath today. The most middle class ā€˜festivalā€™ of the year. Itā€™s sponsored by John Lewis.

We caught a bit of KT Tunstall, all of Jake Buggs set, sheltered from the rain and saw a bit of The Mariachis and The Cuban Brothers folowwed by a little bit of Seasick Steve ( now I know a lot of people have raved about him but heā€™s not for me). The Libertines werenā€™t too bad tonight. I usually not that bothered with them.

Some annoying things:

_umbrellas in crowds - Donā€™t do it! Youā€™ll have someoneā€™s eye out and no one wil be able to see in your vicinity or further back. _

_People constantly talking - Just stay at home and have a few beers and but a CD on. _

_Lack of diversity both on and off stage. _

Thatā€™s the last outdoor gig this year and thank goodness as it was pretty cold but thankfully not too wet.

Next up The Killers at Brixton Academy on Tuesday.

Here in Dubai we head out of the horror of 52C summertime into the transition month of 38C and 100% humidity, but also into the build up to ā€œThe Event Seasonā€.

We have the big gigs coming - Dubai went ā€œBIGā€ with streams of big name gigs and a battle with Anu Dhabi to get ā€œthe biggestā€.

Meanwhile, going back 20 years or so we never had any of that, our ā€œvenueā€ was Dubai Tennis Stadium and occassionally the ā€œLegendaryā€ Irish Village (a bar under the main stand with a decent sized garden and ā€œpondā€. Those were the venues for our gigs, Blondie, Bryan Adams, UB 40 at the Stadium, Deacon Blue, Human League, The Wombats, Super Furry Animals, The Farm at the IV.

In the mayhem of ā€œBIG GIGSā€ Dave C, the manager at IV struggled to get sponsorship for his gigs so they dropped off the radar, sure we have had some decent Tennis Stadium nights - Happy Mondays and Simple Minds were classics, but they are now back in full swing with a fairly solid line up in October.

We have Soul Jam - Alexander Oā€™Neil, Jackie Graham, Mica Paris and Omar (whoever the hell that is) on 5th October, Remix on the Lake - 5 Live, Boyzlife (left overs of Boyzone & Westlife, Snap and Dr Alban, Ocean Colour Scene as Eric noted and Texas.

For me (after Glasto) the one I want to go to will be Live on the Lake - The Pretenders, Heather Small and Aswad.

Elsewhere so far we have Quo, Scouting for Girls, Gorlliaz/Stormzy, Sheeran, JLo, Elton John and Liam Gallagher & the Chemical Brothers (What an odd mash up that is for a day long bash)

Oh and a bunch of other Brunchy gig things only one of note being Toni Braxton.

The great thing about this town and concerts is that apart from Sheeran who sold out in 4 minutes, we can usually decide to go to a gig a week before. Itā€™s very unusual for them to sell out too early, even the Irish Village which only has a capacity of 1500.

But for me - after seeing Chrissie Hynde KILL IT in front of about 20,000 at Glasto, I canā€™t wait to get ā€œinto the Mosh Pitā€ at the IV next month.

And no, I donā€™t have the budget to go to many more on that list, and yes, it would be REALLY neat IF we could get to see up and coming bands playing.

Hopfest last thursday was the nearest weā€™ve had to a night down the pub with The Zucchiniā€™s (or I guess a night at the old Joiners) - we do miss those still.

Omar did ā€œThereā€™s nothing like thisā€ in 1991. His biggest hit.

1 Like

Off to see Dan Oā€™Farrell again tomorrow at The Point in Eastleigh.

Tickets Ā£0.00.

Iā€™ve managed to convince @rallyboy to come along.

A free, intimate gig with a left-leaning, Saints-supporting, local singer-songwiter, whatā€™s not to like?

Details here.

The Killers at Brixton Academy last night were as ever (to me) amazing. A few new songs. Two songs not played live since 2009. Woody Harleson introduced their latest song and then snuggled up to his wife on the side of the stage. We got there early to get a decent view from up in the balcony and didnā€™t have anyone stood in front of us so we did have a top view. So Iā€™ve now seen them 3 times this year.

Next up Foo Figthers next week.

2 Likes