🗓 Four Day Working Week

I would suggest Novichok. Our lot seem to have a fair bit, but it’s a bit hit and miss and they might even come out of it looking younger and healthier.

1 Like

As long as the pay stays the same then I’m all for it.

I’d love a 30 hour week on same pay.
Have applied for a part time role. Can just about afford it. Struggling with full time work.

Didn’t see this the first time. Sounds like an excellent compromise.

I do half a year and its brilliant

Downside its condensedd to 28 days work non stop but the 28 days leave make up for that.

Will I have to pay 100% wages or 80% wages

1 Like

100% as the hours will be condensed, if it can be done I say do it.

Does condensing hours means that some one does 10 hr days 4 times a week or are they saying that all of a sudden people are going to be 25% more productive in the hours they do work?

People doing the hours they want to do is proven to be more productive, 8 hour days to 10 over 4 seems good to me.

That article talks about a 4 day, 30 hour week.

I can’t see any employer wanting to pay someone the same amount for doing less hours even if they say that you do the same amount in 30 hours that you would in 37.5!!

If the premise is that a reduction in working hours means more employment as others can be employed to cover the remaining hours, then it is unlikely to work. Generally, Employers will try and get the same 37.5 hours worth of work done in 30 hours.
I do like the thought of rearranging working hours to suit individuals though. Hopefully Employers can be flexible here, particularly as working from home (for some jobs) appears to be a success for a lot.

1 Like

Trials say you get more for your money, even if you are paying the same for a 30 hour week as you did for a 37.5 or 40 hour week.

Let’s be honest, few on a 37 hour week do that precisely. Either way over or more commonly way under.

This is what I was alluding (poorly) to, condensed flexible hours are going to be the norm after this, also expect where possible an awful lot more of working from home.

These lot? :smiley:

4 Likes

Flexible working is one thing - but as you point out if my staff who are working 30hrs a week become 25% more productive, then I won’t need to employ anyone else.

Whereas if the productivity gain isn’t there and I have to hire more, then my costs have just increased by 25% and so therefore have my prices assuming I can pass them on

1 Like

Yep - their theory could fall down in many ways.
It’s interesting, but during lockdown it seems that the office staff here who work from home are more efficient. They say it is because they can focus more at home, despite childcare commitments. I also think it is because they don’t spend 25% of the day gabbing on about the weekend past / to come and looking at facebook during company time! Seriously though, replacing office interactions and face to face friendships is going to be difficult for some, particularly when Winter comes along.

I work from home, and before the lockdown, my apprentice would work with me. I brought her over from the last place, and there we worked in an office of six. The first thing we noticed is how much more shit we got done without the fucking yap.

Two is the magic number. A conversation ends in a group of two and the conversation ends. Fucking hell, there would be three hour relays in the last place.

1 Like

Basically, pap gave the young girl a job in order to get in there but she won’t even talk to him.

7 Likes