Fallout 4

Originally posted by @Coxford_lou

You need to get her on Skyrim. She’ll be addicted immediately.

45? Pah! You’re still a youngster!

Yeah, wait 'til you’re 47 :lou_sad:

Will be 46 next week… but still no joy on the console front :lou_sad:

Read a lot of bad reviews so have held off.

Will wait until you’ve all done at least 100 hours before I take your reviews seriously.

The 100 hours is gameplay, not downloading time btw.

I dont have a hundred hours. Officially it’s seven hours; although it’s more like ten. The game doesn’t do a sterling job of introducing you to all the mechanics, particularly power suit maintenance. I ended up reloading an old save after needlessly leaving an out of juice T-45 suit in the wilderness.

Some concepts, like weapon durability, have gone forever. Good; it was never that much fun. The level up process now allows you to improve both base stats or a specific skill. The days of levelling up things like small guns is over. Fuck knows how that’s happening. Possibly doing the Skyrim thing of secretly levelling individual skills.

It’s different enough from Fallout 3 and New Vegas to feel fresh. The wasteland outskirts of Boston make for good, and at times, surprisingly beautiful travelling. If Burp has played the other games, he sort of already knows the score :slight_smile: Nowt to stop him jumping into this.

Wait until you have to empty/drop your junk to scrap, well annoying and I lost loads of stuff today doing that, still a great game and right up there, time will tell whether its better than 3, I thought New Vegas was Fallout 3’s add on, this feels like its also with a few tweeks.

Up to about 12 hours now. Scampering out of a building and just saw this.

So having spent some time with Fallout, I have to say I’m a bit disappointed.

Don’t think it’s really that great a game.

The loot thing is just annoying. I like looting and stuff, but there’s just too much. When you can pick up every single desk lamp and waste tray it just becomes a waste of time, and frankly, boring. Especially when the crafting aspect feels like a bit of a bolt on. Weapons upgrades don’t make a huge impact, and the base building isn’t really essential.

The controls are at best clunky.

The onboarding is poor. It spends ages telling you apart things that don’t matter and then just neglects to tell you/explain important things.

The open world is poorly done. The world is too big, it’s offputting and almost intimidating. It takes ages to get anywhere, which is made worse by the fact it’s an ugly world. If you are going to have a massive open world to explore, and require players to spend large amounts of time navigating it - a constantly dark, grey sprawl that all looks the same with nothing interesting to see is not the way to do it. Every game feels the need to be open world now, often for no reason other than to be ‘open world’ - 'coz that’s what AAA games need to be, right? Snore.

As with a lot of AAA games at the minute, there feels to be a lot of content for contents sake. Because MAUR CONTENT = BETTER GAME!!!

Plus, it’s buggy as hell (Stop realeasing games full of bugs. Pet peeve of mine).

Soz, not impressed (not really sorry).