🏏 :engerland: England v NZ 🇳🇿 - Summer Tests 2022

WTAF was Bairstow doing. Head down grind not force the pace FFS

100-6
100-7
Potts gone

Lost 6 wickets for 8 runs. 6 of which were extras

🤦

From Potts of gold this morning to a pot of piss this afternoon.

Meet the new dross, same as the old dross.

2 Likes

The problem is obvious but the solution is far more difficult.

How many state schools play cricket?

Damn few, most cannot prepare a decent square. But the cricket clubs are where the young players come from. If you have a child keen on cricket forget about their school side, get them into the colts section of a good club.

1 Like

I sadly agree, was going to write a long post of cost to the council house kid who loved cricket but didn’t stand a chance.

Going to depend hugely on the clubs local to the kid. A lot of them make a point of charging very little for kids membership and match fees, have club kit available for them to wear.

True but how many state school kids are in the test side?

The new lad Potts is, Ben Stokes, Alex Lees, Jimmy Anderson, Jack Leach and Ben Foakes. Joe Root started at a state school, but got a sports scholarship aged 15 to Worksop College.

1 Like

I’ll be honest that is an awful lot more than I thought, it never used to be 50/50 moreso 80/20.

It is getting blurred now because a lot of private chools are offering sports scholarships to state school kids. Mostly those kids are doing well in the junior sections of good clubs - those with connections into the junior county age-group sides. The last league club I played for had really good colts coaching - still does AFIAK, but I’m no longer playing…

1 Like

Strangely I played more. a lot more when I was abroad, certainly not great but present all the same, my lad and daughter will be going to the cricket club 2 mins from me simply to try it out soon, hopefully they’ll love it.

Broad channels his inner Lara and gets his stumps flattened.

Jimmy playing a few shots… (edit) and misses.

Foakes plays at one he shouldn’t and clips it to slip which negates me writing how a 50 run lead might be a decent outcome 🤦🏼

1 Like

Winning!

Lead by 2.

1 Like

Well the tail wagged and we carry through an impressive lead of 9. Well done lads. :lou_lol:

2 Likes

:man_facepalming:

Are we 'Ampshire in disguise?
Are we 'Ampshire in disguise…

5-1, trail by 4

Gareth Gates 1 c Foakes b Anderson

This could be all over by tonight, a two day Test? The MCC will be mightily pissed off, Sat, Sun and Monday sold out.

Lunch NZ 38-3, lead by 29