Christmas family heated arguments... so far

I’ve had my share of limited Christmases in terms of finance. I’ve mentioned one here. I still spend a great deal of my time in my mum’s house on Pansy Road. As such, I know the financial limitations and pressures that people have to deal with, not helped by a media in which the underlying message is “if you don’t have it, you’re shit”. Rest assured, I know what a lucky bugger I am for the cards life has whacked my way. This year has probably been one of the cheapest in Chez Pap. No huge pressies.

These days, we budget so we’re in a position to spread that good fortune about, throughout the year and especially at Christmas.

I know that given the wrong circumstances, it can be entirely depressing, for all kinds of reasons. I’ve always been lucky enough to have people around me when that has happened. The burden is shared, and it makes the next Christmas, where you normally do have a pot to piss in, or better personal circumstances, that much better.

1 Like

Whatever you do, don’t give the dog the left-over sprouts…that will certainly ruin Christmas.

The best thing about xmas is rewatching 9 seasons of peep show

Jeremy eats a dog

3 Likes

Girlfriends son…“is that it?” :lou_surprised:

Game of post dinner scrabble. The first three words (none of which were mine): WET-GOAT-LOVE.

Happy days :lou_wink_2:

1 Like

Originally posted by @Goatboy

Game of post dinner scrabble. The first three words (none of which were mine): WET-GOAT-LOVE.

Happy days :lou_wink_2:

Eurghhhh!!!..sounds dodgy to me :astonished:

No arguments here. Mum did say in a slightly pissed off voice about where some plates where but that’s it. The quiz I introduced also didn’t cause an argument. We will see what westie-poly brings.

Remarkably calm here. Even after I over cooked the sprouts. (tee-hee)

I got mine in early calling my brother (rightly) a little wanker. This laid the foundations nicely and he hasn’t spoken to me since I arrived back at my mums 3 days ago. Saves any arguments on the days. If the Japanese thought me anything it is to save time and prepare well.

2 Likes

Tokyo is a little wanker.

I’ve had a stress and argument free day. In fact, it’s been lovely. I cooked a lovely dinner for 8 and have watched TV, listened to Christmas songs and drank wine and whiskey. Slowly destroying a cheese board.

1 Like

Christmas alone again?

7 Likes

Our big barney occurred on the 22nd of December, over one car and two destinations. I had to get to Southampton for the Arsenal game, a 500 mile round trip. The missus had to get to Leigh and back, which is about a thirty mile round trip. Now we’ve only got one car, but all of her family over there drive, and taxis are available. She didn’t budge on her car requirement.

I sent her a message last night saying “4 - 0. Not the best game to miss”. So we avoided an actual kick off on Chrimbo, she’s feeling guilty as fuck and believe me, “Saints 4 - 0 Arsenal” is going to be more than just a result in our house. It’ll be the ongoing justification for me getting the car whenever I want :lou_lol:

3 Likes

Oh dear. I feel for you Pap.

Best family flare up was due to Mum’s decision (and daftly announcing it) to purchase caffeine free coffee (“because it’s more healthy”). Reaction from rest of the family was horror, outrage, disgust, panic and then moving swiftly to merciless pisstake. Which how most of our arguments usually pan out.

1 Like

Got home from Xmas Eve drinks to find midnight mass on the TV. Dad started ranting about the variety of garb on show, saying things like “they’re not Christians, they just want to get on TV”.

Having always been pretty passive at home, I think he was a bit taken aback that I started ripping apart his ‘logic’ and asking some questions that hadn’t had to answer before. His main assumptions being that a) I’m less worldly on account of my more tender age and b) that it was a personal attack. Neither point is true.

He stormed off into the other room.

Then my mum asked if I was peckish, cooked me a bloody delicious M&S pizza and the two of us had a properly reasoned debate.

Resounding victory all round!

2 Likes

Another one tonight, she doesn’t agree with my ‘lifestyle’…and she runs around after her son like he’s a 2 year old, but he’s 12…told her it’ll get worse when he’s a teenager!

1 Like

Originally posted by @ant

Got home from Xmas Eve drinks to find midnight mass on the TV. Dad started ranting about the variety of garb on show, saying things like “they’re not Christians, they just want to get on TV”.

Having always been pretty passive at home, I think he was a bit taken aback that I started ripping apart his ‘logic’ and asking some questions that hadn’t had to answer before. His main assumptions being that a) I’m less worldly on account of my more tender age and b) that it was a personal attack. Neither point is true.

He stormed off into the other room.

Then my mum asked if I was peckish, cooked me a bloody delicious M&S pizza and the two of us had a properly reasoned debate.

Resounding victory all round Your dad is right. My brother (little wanker)'s Mrs was on the xmas eve songs of God etc last year. We had to watch it all cause she was on it. She was paid £15 per hour as sponsored God botherer/singer. She aid it went on all day. You can see her singing/pretending to prey/resting her eyes/full on sleeping in a few shots. She did some solo/person sings solo and loads of people join in with colabero (Britain’s got talent God botherers).

Well done Ant’s dad.

3 Likes

My dad wanted a pub crawl tonight. We managed two pubs, but didn’t make the third. Dad seriously not happy. No amount of loud music, cheese and crackers, picked onions, extra vodka tonic, and left over trifle, at home could lift his mood. I have failed as a daughter.

7 Likes

Well, the SOG household managed to get through Christmas and Boxing Day without any meltdowns but we did have one last night. I should know by now never to criticise other people’s driving. Mrs SOG nearly went through a red light ( I had to shout STOP) and earlier in the day was nearly in a collision with another car on the M20 (not her fault but I could see the car starting to vere across in front of us before she did and she only took avoiding action when I shouted out). She does have a tendancy to switch off sometimes whilst driving which worries me as I clearly dont want Mrs SOG getting involved in an accident. I brought up the subject last night and it didnt go well :lou_facepalm_2:

2 Likes