Beer of the Week

With all due respect, this thread was set up to post beers of the week and subsequently discuss those. Can the industry debate be taken to another rather than derailing this one?

I’m not saying it’s not an interesting topic, but in here it’s a bit much. Tantamount to me going into one of the politics threads and (obnoxiously and against the flow of conversation) moaning about modern politics and how everyone should be supporting the party I like best.

I nearly reviewed something crap purely to avoid that bullshit cropping up again. It’s not been a stellar week for beer (nor a Stella one, thankfully). But Ship Wreck has been my favourite so why compromise? :zipper_mouth:

It’s clearly possible to ‘support’ more than one brewery. I had two Vibrant Forest beers last night. Great brewery, but neither of those two were anything special, thus no mention here.

The hard pushing of brewdog and the clever marketing through football forums has left a sour taste in the mouth.

2 Likes

Nah, that’s just the aftertaste of that Vibrant Forest sour beer. You’ll get used to it.

2 Likes

Ant, sorry, but albeit with tongue-firmly-in-cheek, I am not sure why a discussion on beer of the week should include a debate about the culture and history as well. For years in the 80s and to some extent 90s, most beweries came under tremendous pressure, many were shut down because of the trend was for brewed under license ‘lager’ etc. So the current ‘trend’ has a big impact on the current availabilty - its all context and background.

If there is a dominence of a particular brewery in Beer of the week, then surely including questions on why its dominating (eg trendy brand) is worth discussion?

1 Like

Quite frankly, if you don’t drink Titanic then you’re a cunt whose not worth knowing.

Just saying.

2 Likes

What if you object to the marketing of a tragedy?

Last derailing of your thread, ant.

But I searched for Brewdog Southampton and the first non-Brewdog result was on Sotonians.

My paymasters at Brewdog - the best beer in the world - will be pleased.

Eagerly awaiting my ‘Services to Sotonians SEO’ badge.

1 Like

It’s a great beer from Stoke.

Stoke.

That’s tragedy enough.

2 Likes

Now this is a proper ale. Originally brewed at the back of a pub in the next village and now brewed a mile away from me and it’s foooooking lovely.

www.slatersales.co.uk

If it hasn’t got bits of brewer’s fingernail and bottler’s facial hair in it then it’s just a bit nancy bum boy.

I got rather tiddly yesterday at the National I am only only just coming round, had a good cider from Jersey I think.

I have now consumed - if being totally honest - a little too much of my beer of the week which is not brewed by Brewpigs, cats or dogs… but by strange men who are called StJohn or Cornelius and have had the recipes handed down for 27 generations, weighing out malted barley to the nearest picogram (x10 -12 sorry cant do super script), whilst doing the Bledington Morris naked save for their bells a jingling.

Cloudwater - DIPA V3, 9% ABV

Though I generally tend to just buy beers whenever I find them, some enthusiasts always seem to be champing at the bit for new releases. Bit odd if you ask me. Anyway, there’s been nought but good feedback on this double IPA - Cloudwater’s third attempt at the recipe - so when The Rockstone advertised having sourced a case of it, I thought it’d at least be worth checking out.

Nice to know that I’m right sometimes.

This is not a subtle beer. Modern IPAs tend to come in the American style i.e. loaded with hops and a lot of flavour - but even in comparison to those, this is utterly pumped. Presumably unfined (it’s opaque and virtually glows orange), it’s also a little thicker than your average (*snigger*). Absolutely zero alcohol in the taste, though it does give it some body. Very juicy (grapefruit-esque); no harshness in the aftertaste; near-perfectly balanced.

As I’ve noted before, I’m no IPA-enthusiast. Even so I’m struggling to recall any preferrable examples of the style. Reliable sources claim V2 was slightly better, but I haven’t had it.

Score: 4.75 (out of 5)

Buy it:

The Rockstone or online (though stock seems sparse).

Yeah, I drank a shedload of this at Stoke away last season. It was good. Shame about the locals - didn’t like us in their pub apparently - not that it stopped us.

Quite enjoyed a couple of offerings from Joule’s too.

Difficult one to call but I think I’ll go for Yogi.

I was out on the piss last night. saw a Brewdog place and gave it a total fucking swerve.

Erdinger was the beer of choice.

Bump… I am more excited about this than the next star wars film…

and unlike actual stromtroopers this fucker will definitely hit the spot :lou_lol:

’‘Towards the end of October we welcomed back two firm favourites with the re-release of Peaches and Cream and Frambuzi. On November 2nd we launched Imperial Puft. Yep, you heard us, we’ve amplified everything you love about Stay Puft with this decadent imperial porter. Get yourself ready for this flavour explosion that’s like a proton torpedo in your exhaust port. This IS the beer you’re looking for…’'