The Automatic Saints News Thread

Sourced from HITC

Ex-Southampton goalkeeper Cody Cropper hails Kelvin Davis’ guidance following MK Dons move

The 22-year-old American is looking to kick-start his career with the Championship club after being released by the Saints.

Having recently seen his three-year spell with Southampton come to an end, MK Dons new boy Cody Cropper has expressed his gratitude to fellow goalkeeper Kelvin Davis for his guidance in recent seasons.

Cropper, 22, was speaking to Northern Pitch after signing a deal for the 2015-16 campaign with the Championship newcomers earlier this week, having left Southampton when his contract expired last month.

The American shot-stopper first moved to England in 2010 to begin his professional career with Ipswich Town, before linking up with the Saints in the summer of 2012 following his release.

He would go on to feature for the Premier League club’s Under-21s on a regular basis but never managed to make a senior appearance due to strong competition from the likes of Fraser Forster, Paulo Gazzaniga and veteran Davis.

However, he has stressed that he still gained some valuable experience during his time on the South Coast, thanks in no small part to the latter’s help.

“Kelvin Davis had a massive impact on my career,” he told Northern Pitch. “I think he helped me through a lot there. He would always invite me over to his house for dinner, or take me under his wing at training if I had a bad session, or help talk me through times when things weren’t OK.

“He was always there in bad times and always there in good times. I still talk with him and I still talk with Fraser [Forster], quite regularly, because I bonded with them, bonded with Kelvin over the past three years and Fraser over the past year, and I think they’re both very good people, and I hope they’d say the same about me.”

Continuing on his Saints departure, Copper added: “I think it’s for the best in my career. It’s always tough to leave a club after you’ve played with for three years, and move away from the guys that you’ve developed a relationship with.

“But I think that the move away from there is definitely better for me because I’m at a club now where I’m working to earn game time, pushing to earn game time. And at Southampton, the reality of that wasn’t very high.”

Despite his lack of first-team action, Cropper is the US Under-23s first-choice keeper and has even been involved with the senior squad on several occasions since his first call-up in August 2013.

He is still to earn his first cap, however, while head coach Jurgen Klinsmann now has the likes of Brad Guzan, Tim Howard, Nick Rimando, Bill Hamid, William Yarbrough and Sean Johnson all ahead of him on his depth chart.

SEE ALSO: MLS star backs Southampton-linked teammate for Saints move

With Under-20 starter Zack Steffen also breathing down his neck, the Minnesota-native is in danger of falling out of the picture without regular minutes, but the drop down the Championship might just prove the move needed to kick-start his career.

Unseating long-time Dons number one David Martin will be a far from straightforward task but, with what he has learned from mentors like Davis, he seems well prepared for the challenge.

Do you think Cropper is good enough to earn the Dons’ No. 1 jersey?

Sourced from Manchester Evening News

Manchester United transfers: Schweinsteiger or Schneiderlin? You decide

Wimbledon has been the place to be for Manchester United transfer spotting this week with both Bastian Schweinsteiger and Morgan Schneiderlin in SW19 watching the tennis.

Bayern Munich’s Schweinsteiger was there to see his girlfriend Ana Ivanovic while Southampton’s Schneiderlin came over from France to cheer on his compatriot Jo-Wilfried Tsonga.

A tube ride away on the district line from the All-England club is United’s Mayfair offices where executive vice chairman Ed Woodward conducts a lot of the Reds business.

And Reds fans are eager to see when United reach game, set and match in both their battles for the two midfielders.

United have lodged interest in both and have a bid in for Schneiderlin. But there could be a juggling act going on. If one falls through then the pursuit of the other will intensify.

Woodward could actually land both for manager Louis Van Gaal but the German and the Frenchman seem to similar to be imported together in one transfer window.

“Everybody praises Xavi, Busquets, Scholes, Schweinsteiger. Why ? Wait, I’m not comparing myself to them, they are all extraordinary players, but I try to imitate what makes the best players,” he has said.

“They make 10 yards passes and they run, run and run again. They make short passes to start a movement and they create something. Some might say that I’m something hidden in the shadow. I love to make good passes and move on the field.”

Schneiderlin has excelled against United in the past

Schweinsteiger has the more credible CV with a 2013 Champions League winners medal on it and eight Bundesliga titles. A UEFA Super Cup and Fifa Club World Cup are included from that sensational 2013 campaign when Bayern swept all before them.

Schweinsteiger is the recognised heart and soul of Bayern and was the key midfield figure in Germany’s 2014 World Cup win and has 111 caps.

With Van Gaal eager to make a Premier League title impact and restore United’s Euro credibility the German is a must.

But he is 30 and Bayern boss Pep Guardiola wants to keep him.

On the other hand Schneiderlin is 25 and Southampton appear resigned to losing him.

But Schneiderlin’s CV honours section contains just Football League One and Championship runners up medals from 2011 and 2012. He has no Champions League background and has just nine full French caps.

Sourced from The National

Manchester United lodge bid for Morgan Schneiderlin, offer Jonny Evans to Everton for Seamus Coleman | The National

Manchester United have made an official offer to Southampton for midfielder Morgan Schneiderlin, according to British media reports.

Schneiderlin, 25, has been linked with United for much of the summer as manager Louis van Gaal looks to bolster his midfield.

According to the Manchester Evening News (MEN), United have now solidified their interest with an official offer of £20 million (Dh114.7m) for the France international.

The MEN report claims Van Gaal is keen to get the deal completed head of United’s pre-season tour of America next month.

Southampton value Schneiderlin closer to £25m and are expected to remain firm on that valuation.

Meanwhile, other media reports claim United are prepared to offer Jonny Evans plus cash to Everton in a bid to sign full-back Seamus Coleman.

Van Gaal is in the market for a right-back able to operate as a defensive full-back or a wing-back, and Coleman fits the bill.

According to the Daily Star, United will try to tempt Everton by offering centre-back Evans as part of the deal.

Following the departure of Sylvain Distin, Everton are in need of defensive cover and United are reportedly hopeful Evans will help smooth a deal for Coleman.

Sourced from Clubcall.com

Gunners not giving up on Schneiderlin

Arsenal are reportedly still interested in signing Southampton’s Morgan Schneiderlin after Manchester United failed with a bid.

Gunners boss Arsene Wenger has been heavily linked with a move for the 25-year-old France international midfielder after north London rivals Tottenham failed in their efforts to sign him last summer.

Schneiderlin knuckled down after the disappointment of missing out on a move to Spurs and helped Ronald Koeman’s men finish in seventh spot in the Premier League which was enough to qualify for the Europa League.

Wenger moved quickly to try and sign his compatriot, but when the saga dragged on through the start of June United eventually moved into the driving seat as Red Devils boss Louis van Gaal eyes a long-term successor for Michael Carrick.

But following news of a failed £20million swoop earlier this week reports are suggesting that the Gunners could make a renewed effort to sign Schneiderlin by tabling a bid closer to the Saints’ £25million valuation.

Sourced from Daily Mail

Premier League fixture alterations ruin fans’ travel plans

Sourced from talkSPORT

Premier League fixtures 2015-16 – stream live Premier League games on

talkSPORT’s live commentaries for the first two months of the season have been announced.

These are the games you can listen to on your favourite all-sports station…

Sourced from Ladbrokes News

Man Utd fans should not fear a slow-burning transfer window

Gareth Bale, Karim Benzema, Mats Hummels, Nicolas Otamendi, Dani Alves, Miranda, Nathaniel Clyne, Roberto Firmino, Edinson Cavani, Sergio Ramos, Morgan Schneiderlin, Ilkay Gundogan and Seamus Coleman have all been linked with moves to Manchester United this summer.

Despite ceaseless speculation over possible arrivals, though, at the time of writing the only notable confirmed signing by United is Dutch forward Memphis Depay.

Meanwhile up the M62, bitter rivals Liverpool have been welcoming signings to Anfield at a rate of knots, not to mention a couple of players thought to be on United’s radar.

When long-term target Gundogan opted to extend his stay at Borussia Dortmund this week, quite possibly the first sighs of exasperation were released some Red Devils fans, but in reality there is little to worry about; barring David de Gea’s exit possibly.

However, even the anxiety of De Gea’s reported move to Real Madrid has subsided ever so slightly given United’s hard-ball stance and Depay’s arrival, at the expense of Liverpool no less, has been widely heralded.

What is essential is that Louis Van Gaal resists the urge to pad out a squad which sauntered, rather than swept back into the top four, with mediocrity.

Patience as they say is a virtue and, officially anyway, the transfer window has only been open for a few days so time is not yet of the essence.

Regardless of the De Gea saga, United have Victor Valdes as back up and will surely be able to prise Hugo Lloris or another such quality stopper away should they require it.

A world-class centre-back (Ramos?), right-back (Coleman?) centre-midfielder (Schneiderlin?) and striker (Cavani?) are needed if United are to defy odds of 5/1 to win a 14th Premier League title, that much is probably true.

But the nucleus of the squad is intact and while the hour glass still holds plenty of sand, it’s important LvG and co don’t rush into making second-tier acquisitions.

Old Trafford hosting Champions League football once more is also a huge boon to the chances of further big-name recruitment this summer.

All Odds and Markets are correct as of the date of publishing.

Fancy a flutter? Sign up today to claim up to £25 in free bets.

Sourced from Vital Football - Southampton FC

Southampton FC News - Latest Southampton Transfer News & Gossip

Striker Jay Rodriguez has said he’s thrilled to be back in the mix of things in pre season training now and he can’t wait to help the club push on further in 2015-16…

Sourced from ESPN FC

Southampton seek decision on Man United target Schneiderlin - sources

Southampton officials are eager to clarify the future of Manchester United target Morgan Schneiderlin before the club travel to Austria for the first of their preseason games next week, sources have told ESPN FC.

Schneiderlin, 25, has been linked with a move to United and Arsenal in recent months, with sources telling ESPN FC that both clubs have made enquiries for the France international.

The midfielder has been given the green light to make a move to a club playing in next season’s Champions League and has expressed a desire to remain in England’s Premier League, but Southampton have yet to receive a suitable offer for the player.

United’s initial bid for Schneiderlin was rejected by Southampton last week, with Saints coach Ronald Koeman confirming that no acceptable offer has been made since.

Koeman is keen to avoid repeat of last summer, when discussions over the future of Schneiderlin and several more of his star names dominated the club’s agenda.

Schneiderlin took time out from the debate over his future in Thursday as he enjoyed a day at Wimbledon watching his compatriot Jo-Wilfried Tsonga.

Despite wanting to leave the south coast club last summer, the midfielder’s impressive performances helped Southampton earn a seventh-placed finish in the Premier League last season.

Sourced from Sky Sports

Falcao to Chelsea? Clyne to Liverpool? Scouting trends explored

It’s no coincidence that Liverpool look to Southampton and Chelsea eye Atletico stars, writes Adam Bate…

Nathaniel Clyne excelled at Southampton but that hasn’t stopped the jokes. The south-coast side are now Liverpool’s feeder club, you see. Didn’t Brendan Rodgers learn his lesson after the struggles of Rickie Lambert and Dejan Lovren? Should the Southampton tea lady expect to be headhunted too?

As for Radamel Falcao joining Chelsea after a difficult season at Manchester United, the signing has been variously described as Jose Mourinho’s folly or simply further evidence of super scout Jorge Mendes’ machinations behind the scenes.

But while it’s easy to mock Chelsea or wonder whether Liverpool’s scouts need to get out a bit more rather than just camping outside St Mary’s, the signings could instead be interpreted as evidence that the two clubs remain committed to principles that have not been altered by the last 12 months.

It’s not some personality quirk of Rodgers’ that makes him turn to Southampton for players. Even under Nigel Adkins, he praised them as “a team that like to play and pass” and that style of play makes them a logical fit for life in his Liverpool side.

“We were after a certain type of player that fits the profile and the mould of the way we play,” he explained last summer once the deals for Lovren and Adam Lallana were concluded. “They played in a similar mould to us, so the players understand the pressing, the intensity and the possession.”

He added: “I think the advantage of taking them is that they understand how we work. All the players we have brought in were done so because of their profile. Southampton played in a really offensive, aggressive way and the players that have come in will adapt that little bit quicker to that.”

The methods behind Liverpool’s logic are sound. Scouting individuals can be a tricky business in team sports. How can you predict what a player will do in your team if they play in a different way for their current employers?

It’s likely to be an issue that’s been troubling Liverpool in regard to their pursuit of Aston Villa striker Christian Benteke. Tim Sherwood had his own motivations when telling reporters that “there’s no point going to a club where they don’t cross the ball” but it’s a legitimate concern nevertheless.

Tottenham’s head of player identification Rob Mackenzie helped produce the Science of Scouting series for Sky Sports last season and highlighted that minimising risk is a vital part of the process. Signing players from similar set-ups can play its part in doing that.

“There are a lot of mismatches that can occur when a striker is bought by another club who don’t create the types of chances that he is used to,” Mackenzie told Sky Sports during his time as head of technical scouting at Leicester City.

“It’s not to say that strikers aren’t capable of scoring different types of goals but if you’re trying to minimise risk and you’re looking at how a player usually takes his chances, if we’re not creating those types of chances there’s a possibility it won’t work.

“So we look hard at how teams play, where their chances come from and then we ask ourselves whether we create those types of chances. We try to model clubs who play a similar way so it’s easier to see if they are doing it more or less effectively than our players.”

It’s not just a tactical issue either. Mourinho’s admiration for Atletico Madrid’s efforts in recent seasons is well known with the Chelsea boss describing being a goal down to Diego Simeone’s side as being “almost impossible” following their semi-final defeat in 2014.

Mourinho appears convinced that he is acquiring a certain type of character from Atletico and this has manifested itself in the signings of Diego Costa and Filipe Luis, while Arda Turan has also been linked with a move to Stamford Bridge.

Former Chelsea midfielder Deco has even highlighted the similarities between Simeone’s Atletico and Mourinho’s Porto. So when Falcao arrives at the Bridge having enjoyed considerable success at both of those clubs, maybe the move should not be seen as such a shock.

After all, knowing what you’re getting is a significant part of scouting as Steven Houston, one-time head of technical scouting at Chelsea, explained to Sky Sports. And that’s altogether easier if there is evidence that the transition has been made before. For Falcao, read his former strike partner Costa.

“You also have to factor in the team,” said Houston, now at Sunderland. “You can look at historical trends for players who made that transition. That’s what a lot of teams are trying to find out - how you can effectively make that translation.”

Liverpool supporters may point to Lovren’s Anfield struggles. Chelsea fans might well be a little underwhelmed by Filipe Luis’s impact so far. But there remains every indication that when clubs find a match that they feel fits, then they’re unlikely to be dissuaded.

Sourced from Southampton FC - Official Site

SOUTHAMPTON FC | Southampton’s first three home games selected for TV coverage

Sourced from FourFourTweet (Weblog)

Manchester United Launch £20m Bid For Southampton Star

Sourced from The Northern Echo

Five fixture changes for Magpies

FOUR of Newcastle’s early Premier League fixtures have been moved for television and the season opener with Southampton now has a different date.

The Saints’ visit to Tyneside will take place on Sunday, August 9 because of the South Coast club’s Europa League involvement.

Newcastle’s trip to Manchester United has been brought forward to 12.45pm on Saturday, August 22 for BT Sport coverage and it will be the same start time and channel for the home date with Arsenal on August 29.

Sky Sports has selected Newcastle’s trip to West Ham for the Monday night football slot on September 14 at 8pm and Sky will also screen Chelsea’s visit to St James’ Park on Saturday, September 26 at 5.30pm.

Sourced from Daily Echo

Southampton confirm Newcastle fixture change - and first TV games

SAINTS’ opening fixture of the Premier League season, away to Newcastle, has been switched to Sunday, August 9.

The change, which has been expected, is due to Ronald Koeman’s side having to play the second leg of their Europa League qualifier on Thursday, August 6.

The clash with Newcastle will now kick-off at 1.30pm.

There are also some other changes to Saints’ early schedule, with the first batch of live television games announced.

The club’s opening three home games in the Premier League have all been picked for coverage.

The trip to Watford has also been rescheduled, moving to Sunday, August 23, although that is not on television.

Sourced from Southampton FC - Official Site

SOUTHAMPTON FC | Saints’ trips to Newcastle United and Watford to be played on Sundays due to possible UEFA Europa League clashes

Sourced from Sporting Life

Premier League games live on TV

The Blues’ curtain-raiser against Swansea on Saturday, August 8 is the first of 24 live matches on Sky Sports from the opening seven rounds of the new 2015/16 season, with Arsenal and Liverpool starring in the first Super Sunday clashes, Manchester City featuring in the return of Monday Night Football and Manchester United in front of the cameras in a one-off Friday night game.

Sky Sports will show every team live by the end of September and the schedule features 14 matches involving last season’s top four, as well as mouth-watering head-to-heads including Manchester City v Chelsea, Arsenal v Liverpool and Manchester United v Liverpool.

The live matches are the first of 116 Barclays Premier League fixtures to be shown exclusively live on Sky Sports.

Sky Sports viewers can enjoy another huge season of live football kicking off in August, including 127 matches from Football League - more than ever before - Capital One Cup, the climax of UEFA Euro 2016 qualification and action from Scotland in the SPFL and Scottish Cup, as well as MLS and Eredivisie.

Sky Sports Managing Director Barney Francis said: "Sky Sports will be live from the home of the champions as another Premier League season kicks off, and with these first seven rounds of games there is much to look forward to.

"In our opening 24 matches we will show every Premier League team, telling the complete story as the season starts to take shape, as well as the big head-to-heads like Man City v Chelsea and Man Utd v Liverpool.

“With 116 games from the Premier League it will be another huge season of live football on Sky Sports, with more Football League games than ever before and the Euro 2016 qualifiers coming to a conclusion with all the Home Nations in with a shot at getting to France next summer.”

Sky Sports expert Thierry Henry said: "I can’t wait for the Premier League season to begin so we can get back into the studio on Sky Sports.

"Starting at Chelsea, everyone will be looking at them to see if they can retain their title, and on that opening weekend we also have Man City and Arsenal from last season’s top three; they will want to show they can put up a challenge.

"It’s also important that we tell the whole story of the Premier League, all 20 clubs in the first two months so we can understand each team, how they start the season will be crucial and Sky Sports will be there to show it.”

Sky Sports will offer at least four more seasons of the Premier League, with 116 lives games coming this season increasing to 126 each term from the 2016/17 season.

BT Sport’s live coverage gets started with Manchester United v Tottenham on the opening day of the season.

Sourced from Vital Football - Norwich City

Norwich News - Latest Norwich City Transfer News & Norwich Gossip

‘If It’s Football, It’s Vital’

Sourced from The Hard Tackle

Southampton Reject Manchester United’s £20Million Schneiderlin Bid: Report

Sourced from The Pink’un

Norwich City announce two Premier League fixture changes for Southampton and Liverpool away games

Norwich City’s early season Premier League trip to Southampton has been moved back a day to Sunday, August 30 for live television coverage (KO 1:30pm).

Alex Neil’s squad were scheduled to visit St Mary’s on the Saturday but Skysports will now broadcast the Canaries’ fourth game back in the top flight after the broadcaster announced the first tranche of televised fixtures for the new campaign.

Norwich’s visit to Anfield to play Liverpool, scheduled for Saturday September 19, has been moved the following day (KO 4pm) due to the Reds’ participation in the Europa League group stages which is likely to see Brendan Rodgers’ side play the previous Thursday. The game will not be televised live.

Sourced from Sky Sports

Premier League fixtures on : Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Manchester City live on bumper 2015/16 opening weekend

Chelsea will start their Premier League title defence exclusively live on Sky Sports, with Liverpool, Arsenal and Manchester City also on a bumper opening-weekend bill.

The Blues’ curtain-raiser against Swansea on Saturday, August 8 is the first of 24 live matches on Sky Sports from the opening seven rounds of the new 2015/16 season, with Arsenal and Liverpool starring in the first Super Sunday clashes, Manchester City featuring in the return of Monday Night Football and Manchester United in front of the cameras in a one-off Friday night game.

Sky Sports will show every team live by the end of September and the schedule features 14 matches involving last season’s top four, as well as mouthwatering head-to-heads including Manchester City v Chelsea, Arsenal v Liverpool and Manchester United v Liverpool.

The live matches are the first of 116 Barclays Premier League fixtures to be shown exclusively live on Sky Sports with unrivalled analysis from Thierry Henry, Gary Neville, Jamie Carragher, Jamie Redknapp and Graeme Souness.

Sky Sports viewers can enjoy another huge season of live football kicking off in August, including 127 matches from the Football League - more than ever before - Capital One Cup, the climax of UEFA Euro 2016 qualification and action from Scotland in the SPFL and Scottish Cup, as well as MLS and Eredivisie.

Sky Sports Managing Director Barney Francis said: "Sky Sports will be live from the home of the champions as another Premier League season kicks off, and with these first seven rounds of games there is much to look forward to.

"In our opening 24 matches we will show every Premier League team, telling the complete story as the season starts to take shape, as well as the big head-to-heads like Man City v Chelsea and Man Utd v Liverpool.

“With 116 games from the Premier League it will be another huge season of live football on Sky Sports, with more Football League games than ever before and the Euro 2016 qualifiers coming to a conclusion with all the Home Nations in with a shot at getting to France next summer.”

Global football icon Thierry Henry said: "I can’t wait for the Premier League season to begin so we can get back into the studio on Sky Sports.

"Starting at Chelsea, everyone will be looking at them to see if they can retain their title, and on that opening weekend we also have Man City and Arsenal from last season’s top three; they will want to show they can put up a challenge.

"It’s also important that we tell the whole story of the Premier League, all 20 clubs in the first two months so we can understand each team, how they start the season will be crucial and Sky Sports will be there to show it.”

From August Sky Sports will be the only place to see the big kick-off with SPFL champions Celtic starting at home against Ross County on Saturday, August 1, and then in the Football League with Brighton welcoming Nottingham Forest on Friday, August 7, a day before Chelsea take on Swansea City in the opening game of the Premier League.

The first Super Sunday of the season will see Liverpool return to Stoke following their defeat on the final day of last season. The following day Monday Night Football returns as West Brom welcome Manchester City, and a week later Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher will cover Bournemouth’s visit to Anfield for the first time as a Premier League club.

Monday Night Football will also see Arsenal face Liverpool in August, as well as Slaven Bilic come up against Steve McClaren when West Ham face Newcastle in September - eight years on from England’s Euro 2008 qualifier at Wembley.

Premier League teams will be looking to make additions to their squad before the big kick-off and Sky Sports News HQ will follow all the transfer news through to deadline day, our dedicated Transfer Centre available at skysports.com/football and via the Sky Sports apps for supporters on the go.

Sky Sports will offer at least four more seasons of the Premier League, with 116 lives games coming this season increasing to 126 each term from the 2016/17 season.

Find all this season’s fixtures at www.skysports.com/football or via the Sky Sports apps.