šŸ”ˆ Site announcement: Things that we think you should know

The World is falling to pieces. Democracy has been hijacked by a geek from Cambridge and you lot are fighting over fonts and telling us that Apple ate a marketing rip off.

Ah bless, SOOO much more comforting than FB or Twitter these days.

Think Iā€™ll have some comfort food for dinner.

Youā€™re missing the point bigPhilā€¦ when the world turns to shit, there is comfort in debating the trivial. It eases the mind and enables clearer thought for the challenging battles that lie aheadā€¦ Brexit and Trump, we have only seen the beginningā€¦ :lou_surprised:

what I have discovered is that when posting on my phone I can no longer just touch where I want the cursor to go anymore. This is actually a little irritating. Youā€™ve done this, sir Clive.

Fair point.

Just I hate the idea of my Big Data being sold off in some group deal.

Kind of like to think it still has value and can stand alone

Originally posted by @areloa-grandee

It goes without sayingā€¦ well maybe it does need saying so pap gets the kudos he deserves (as well as the shit I dish out :lou_lol:) that this forum is easily best to use visually and functionally. But as a someone who is duty bound to be a pain in the arse and as argumentative as possible, I do find unnecessary stuff, designed to add unnecessary function a bit bollocks TBH.

Yeah, but ultimately youā€™re not the arbiter of what is and what is not necessary. That job falls to me, and apart from bletch and co, itā€™s not something thatā€™s happening by committee.

If you feel itā€™s unnecessary, donā€™t use it.

We come on here to talk to each other and take the piss now and then. If I wanted everything I said, when, what and where to be and recorded and regurgitated down the line in attempts to undermine future argumenst (because heaven forbid folks chnage their minds and opinions) I would have stuck with the Twats who do that on SWF.

If you donā€™t want to be linked, Iā€™ll remove your username from the list of available options, just like a non-approved user.

I would point out that anyone with a memory can attack you in the same way.

I simply dont see any value in that data, of the functionality used to collect it.

Fortunately, your comprehension is not required, only a decision on whether you want to be involved or not (see last point).

(and the bold font used on thread titles looks shit)

Theyā€™re headers, ffs.

Top job of taking us off-piste there @rallyboy :slight_smile:

The icon should now be back, @goatboy .

Sorry for the inconvenience, all.

ā€œFortunately your comprehension is not requiredā€

fuck if I treated my ā€˜customersā€™ like that, Iā€™d be fucked.

Seriously, maybe if you took the time to explain the benefit of such decisions, you might discover the benefits of a trusting relationshipā€¦ As opposed to come across a little autocratic, which is fucking hilariously ironic given your recent stance on the EU :lou_lol:

To qualify as a customer Iā€™m pretty sure you have to pony up, otherwise you are just a ligger.

2 Likes

Ps. I still think all this hashtag bollocks is gash

1 Like

@gash

1 Like

Thing isā€¦ We are sort of customers, as without us it would be Pap talking to himselfā€¦ Which might be quite funny, but could become a bit boring after a whileā€¦ A desire to drive membership and thriving community means listening to ā€˜to those that donate their timeā€™ :wink:

In theory, our data is anonymous because the data collected is aligned to user namesā€¦but these are linked to our email addresses so whatever we say is ultimately collected stored and what not for prosperityā€¦ I just donā€™t see the need to add to that nor do I see the value to users of this extra functionā€¦

Itā€™s easy to dimiss this with a IMHO arrogance on ā€™ tough, itā€™s my sandpitā€™, but when you look past the trivial shit, itā€™s still data collected on me and youā€¦ And I donā€™t recall a tick box on entry that says the site can collect what it likesā€¦ Just saying like.

1 Like

I have explained why weā€™re doing this, at considerable length, and got the 1984 picture for introducing a feature thatā€™s been part and parcel of pretty much every social network out there, despite collecting far less personal information, and selling it to no-one, as Facebook does with its user-generated content.

Autocracy can be a good thing in certain contexts. Democracy can be a bad thing in others. In the field of designing computer systems, autocracy beats democracy out. Itā€™s why government IT projects rarely work. Everyone wants in, requirements conflict and nothing ends up getting done at huge cost. Personally I prefer the term autonomy, and Iā€™m going to use that autonomy to move the platform forward.

Besides, you can blame @tokyo-saint for all the change. His cruel taunts about my substandard dev skills are driving this revolution :lou_wink_2:

Hmmmā€¦ I think you might be proving his point.

:lou_wink:

2 Likes

ā€˜Autocracy can be good in certain contextsā€™ ā€¦ Indeed, and very complex multifaceted issues such as Brexit would have been oneā€¦ Worrying about hash tags and labels on a web forum seems an odd choice for such skulduggeryā€¦

My understanding of the word customer is someone paying money for goods or services. Steveweb has customers. We do not.

Iā€™m getting a little bored of your assumptions of the worst case scenario. What possible justification could you have for it? Why arenā€™t you asking questions about specific concerns?

I have zero plans to sell any data on this site. None. Despite the full backing of the site to put a Donate button on, I havenā€™t done that either. Iā€™ve got an AdSense account and considerable backing to use that; not everyone on the site is as ad-averse as I. We havenā€™t done that either.

We _have _discussed getting Sotonians into the physical world in the form of bumper stickers, and yes, money would be involved. That hasnā€™t been done.

There are only two ways I ever see myself making money from this site, and Iā€™m not really arsed if I donā€™t. Neither of them involve selling data. The first is the unlikely scenario where someone bites my hand off with a huge cash offer. 350 users. Chances? The other is developing the software to an extent where it does more than other platforms of this ilk, and could be sold to other people looking to set up similar communities. Thatā€™s a long term goal too, because while this project has been a fantastic learning experience, itā€™s got limitations. I can see myself rewriting much of the core engine.

Please stop assuming the worst. It bores me and makes you look a moaning bastard. Thanks for allowing me to clarify my stance on a few issues. Just ask me next time.

1 Like

Nine hour day, mate.

So is it going to be a fiver?

3 Likes

Originally posted by @Fatso

So is it going to be a fiver?

No plans to charge anyone either.

When on TSW, Iā€™d sometimes defend their practice on the UI by saying it keeps the riffraff from flooding the site.

The reality is any riffraff with a fiver gets to do it anyway.

2 Likes

So itā€™s going to be more than a fiver? Come on, just be up front. What we talkingā€¦Ā£10? Ā£20?