šŸ”ˆ Site announcement: Things that we think you should know

I think youā€™ll find thatā€™s araucana egg not cornflower.

2 Likes

Mine looks the same as Bletchā€™s on google browser/windows laptop

We now have a forum that spends most of the time debating the forum itself, and nowt else.

7 Likes

How very now.

Weā€™ve finally moved beyond June 23rd 2016.

Thereā€™s that.

3 Likes

omg, for a minute I thought you meant me, Bearsy and it was like a knife to my heart!

1 Like

I get the annoyance, really I do. But, nope, thats not how good design works. Itā€™s not actually that subjective. Thereā€™s an element of subjectivity to it, sure, but only at the highest level. Apple stuff it good, and Microsoft shit, not because public opinion decided one day to like one over the other. Apple is good, because they are top of their craft and they follow great design principles. Microsoft is shit, because they donā€™t. Most people actually know good from bad, they just donā€™t necessarily know how to make something good. But then why would they. They wouldnā€™t know how to code either.

2 Likes

Apple are marketed to fuck, have an obsession with convincing people theyā€™re better than they are, especially those without any practical technical experience. The iPhone5 was launched with great fanfare as having an extra row of icons, FFS.

Apple have designed a way to get people to pay for the equivalent of a Vauxhall Astra for the price of a Porsche. Their market is the canā€™t be arsed and the impatient, which is amusing because the latter have to wait three years for many major PC games.

Theyā€™ve made their money because they know how to lower the barrier of entry while making damn sure no-one ever gets out once theyā€™re in. I donā€™t agree that theyā€™ve designed stuff well. The iPad3 didnā€™t have enough oomph for the Retina screen. The new iPhone doesnā€™t have a headphone jack. Apple reckon they want to make the phone waterproof and keep the design, forcing people to get adapters. I remember needing an Apple charger and the Apple shop wanting Ā£26 for it!

Theyā€™re at the top of their game in having designs on your cash.

Oh dearā€¦ There is some bitterness in this post, a little acidic donā€™t you think? I also think you are rather disengenuous towards Apple, and that is not surprising as I struggle to find any Many ā€˜Tech headsā€™ that have time for Jobsā€™s ā€˜Toysā€™ā€¦ The reason is pretty clear. When these guys were working out of the back of garages, it was a hobby for the geeks. It was their domain, their soldering iron and then along comes this Jobs and Woz and they want to build something that requires no geekery to operate it at allā€¦ In fact after nicking an idea from Xerox, a coupleof clicks is all you need and you have anybody with no computer training able to use oneā€¦ Why Mr Gates even tried to license the MAcOS, but Jobs said Fick offā€¦ Because he wanted to offer the public the complete packageā€¦

Fast forward and you still seem to be missing the design point. You can separate function and form. Of course if something does not work then it matters not how it looks, it will fail. But make it functional something new, then if it looks great, people will chose it. Apple donā€™t sell geek devices. They sell devices many people wantā€¦ Their design is based on form, which many then copy. Even if others improve the tech inside, the idea and design belong to Apple and that is the part of the design that many folks likeā€¦ And that causes great pain in geek city ā€¦ Because they canā€™t understand how good looks beat, newer techā€¦because they donā€™t understand how important that aspect of design is.

Apple made products for the non tech masses. Not the geeks, but at a premium price, as it was always an aspirational brandā€¦ Apple users donā€™t give a flying fuck that a Samsung phone has better techā€¦because they donā€™t need better tech or get off on it. They get off on the beauty of the device and that is more valid when you donā€™t need any more techā€¦

Not sure how you can say ā€˜damn sure no one gets outā€™ rare dramatic statement do t you thinkā€¦ Many move, and many go back after missing the simplicity (another huge part of design that is overlooked - one that might resonate with forum users now inundated with hashtags and and @s that add nothing of any real valueā€¦ :lou_is_a_flirt:)

Your car analogy is simply wrong. Apple have put a Ford engine inside a Porsche. It works well but looks great and that is enough for most folks. The r st of the market is obsessed with the fastest engine inside, a Hyundai coupe when most folks know you canā€™t go over 70 on the British roads and will never use the extra ā€˜speedā€™ anywayā€¦

6 Likes

Very little Apple have done has actually been original. Theyā€™ve one big product launch in their history, which is the iPhone. The windowing system on the Mac was pioneered at Rank Xerox. What they do really well is package the ideas of others very nicely.

Not sure how you can say ā€˜damn sure no one gets outā€™ rare dramatic statement do t you thinkā€¦

Itā€™s called the App Store. HTH.

Originally posted by @pap

Very little Apple have done has actually been original. Theyā€™ve one big product launch in their history, which is the iPhone. The windowing system on the Mac was pioneered at Rank Xerox. What they do really well is package the ideas of others very nicely.

http://mashable.com/2012/11/09/touchscreen-history/#mxoaFrJlcsqx

Not sure how you can say ā€˜damn sure no one gets outā€™ rare dramatic statement do t you thinkā€¦

Itā€™s called the App Store. HTH.

Ideas are useless if never exploited. I mentioned the Xerox ideaā€¦ but XeroxPark guys did not have a clue what to do with itā€¦ the ā€˜ideaā€™ to use it in a home computer was Jobsā€™s and that was the the good oneā€¦ as for only one original ideaā€¦

I suggest the first iMac was not that bad at getting more folks to use machines at homeā€¦ Tablets had been around for ages before the iPad, but again manufacturers only thought of commercial applications, hospitals and such likeā€¦ the idea of Apple was to SIMPLIFY, strip it back to a screen and a simple OS (which must smart the techies who always want morecomplex tech, not less) and give it a use in the homeā€¦ and again others have copied.

Original ideas are not just about the inventing the tech, but perhaps more importantly about defining how it can be used in new environments by new people. The ā€˜geniusā€™ of Apple has always been about taking an idea and giving it appeal outside the tech space, a use outside the tech space, simplicity so that non techies can use it, and an aesthetic that is appealing and aspirationalā€¦ that combination is pretty much the definition of good design.

1 Like

Just as an update. Iā€™'ve got a solution on the boil for people on mobile devices. A couple of days research revealed that mobile browsers really donā€™t do keypresses properly.

1 Like

ā€¦to bring this back on topic, good design is not about cramming new and ā€˜standardā€™ or conventionalā€™ bits and pieces into things becuse you canā€¦its about understanding whether its actaully necessary or addsany value. The best design is simple, no extras that are not needed. Yes the aesthetic is subjective, but you yourself suggest that Apple was ā€˜marketed to fuckā€™- well I suggets that the ā€˜needā€™ for all these forum extras only exists because its been ā€˜marketed to fuckā€™ in otehr social mediaā€¦ none of it is necessary when just chatting on a forumā€¦ its just a way to collect data that someone hopes will have a market value in futureā€¦ who spoke with whom about what and whenā€¦ seriously? :lou_surprised:

2 Likes

How else are we going to influence elections in Burkina Faso?

1 Like

I just thought I should add my two cents worth here in order to keep my posts-per-day count up:

Iā€™m not particularly interested in this debate.

7 Likes

I like this post as it has no hashtags or other such nonsense. Its beauty is in its simplicity. Perfect design

3 Likes

I have upvoted this for its purity of purpose and a determination to drive forward this change in the face of protest :lou_surprised: :lou_wink_2:

1 Like

While I understand Papā€™s slight (i.e. Massive) feelings of defensiveness given the lack of appreciation for his cool idea, I feel there is a wider point to be made about the importance of, skill behind, and lack of appreciation for, great design, and the principles behind it. These days, everyone thinks they can have a go. (Then when someone has a go, and gets it wrong, they say itā€™s just ā€˜subjectivityā€™ :lou_wink_2:)

Which is why Iā€™ve upvoted Chutneyā€™s posts.

Steve Jobs wasnā€™t a great designer - he was a great design commissioner, and thatā€™s as big a job.

This site design is waaay cooler than its competitors, and thatā€™s because it has a simple clean layout. Just be careful not to go back in the opposite direction!

1 Like

TBH I donā€™t think most give a toss about the design of the forum or the little doodads. Itā€™s just a little piss-take of Papā€™s hard work, which is a bit meanā€¦but fun. :lou_wink_2:

2 Likes

It goes without sayingā€¦ well maybe it does need saying so pap gets the kudos he deserves (as well as the shit I dish out :lou_lol:) that this forum is easily best to use visually and functionally. But as a someone who is duty bound to be a pain in the arse and as argumentative as possible, I do find unnecessary stuff, designed to add unnecessary function a bit bollocks TBH.

We come on here to talk to each other and take the piss now and then. If I wanted everything I said, when, what and where to be and recorded and regurgitated down the line in attempts to undermine future argumenst (because heaven forbid folks chnage their minds and opinions) I would have stuck with the Twats who do that on SWF.

I simply dont see any value in that data, of the functionality used to collect it.

(and the bold font used on thread titles looks shit)