šŸ”ˆ Site announcement: Things that we think you should know

BTW, @coxford_lou , your screen does look more bold than mine. See here:

And here:

(Note I changed my mention colours).

Interesting. Iā€™m in Safari. I think itā€™s just a dud font.

Donā€™t want to speak for @pap , but it looks like the font we will use will be one of the following:

ā€˜persansā€™,

ā€˜PerspectiveSansā€™,

ā€˜Open Sansā€™,

Arial,

Helvetica,

sans-serif;

The browser will use the first one of those fonts that it finds (from top to bottom).

Mine appears to be using Open Sans (i.e. the third font on that list), which is a really nice and readable clean font.

See hereā€¦

It could be that if youā€™re on a Mac, you have either ā€˜persansā€™ or ā€˜PerspectiveSansā€™ installed?

And perhaps that accounts for the difference?

Iā€™m guessing, though.

But surely if itā€™s a webfont, you donā€™t need it installed? Iā€™m confused :frowning:

Seriously design gripers. Unless you come up with something demonstrably fucking fantastic, Iā€™m not changing shit on that front. Donā€™t mind minor tweaks, as I did yesterday. If theyā€™re quick and easy, Iā€™ll do them.

Iā€™m not entertaining redesigns. Iā€™m trying to build structure. We can pick our wallpaper once the house is built.

In the meantime, marvel at how good it does look compared to all the other Saints forum shit shows out there, or bravely step up and tell me how TSW, UI or IBO are the football forum equivalents of Prada.

1 Like

I think I may go back to reading books.

1 Like

Hmmm, suddenly the brief doesnā€™t seem quite as clear as it first did. Iā€™ll pass on that then!

1 Like

Looks like @saintbletch has overstepped the mark and got above his station.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s certainly what I would have thought, @coxford_lou .

And also being a web font it SHOULD appear the same/very similar on each platform.

Sorry about that, @coxford_lou .

1 Like

The infrastructure IS undeniably beautiful, @pap , but aesthetically it looks a bit shit.

omg bill gates vs steve jobs

6 Likes

This is more like Alan Sugar vs Sir Clive Sinclair

8 Likes

I donā€™t wanna get stuck in a power struggle! Iā€™d rather watch Taboo!

Originally posted by @saintbletch

Originally posted by @Coxford_lou

Hmmm, suddenly the brief doesnā€™t seem quite as clear as it first did. Iā€™ll pass on that then!

Sorry about that, @coxford_lou .

Heh, thatā€™s OK. :lou_smiley:

i usually agree with beltch, and go for something that looks good even if it doesnā€™t work, but tbh sheā€™s getting on my nerves at the moment

1 Like

Hilda Ogden v Ena Sharples

4 Likes

I donā€™t know why I acknowledged Sir Cliveā€™s knighthood but not Sugars. Possible anti-semetism rearing its ugly face on sotonians again.

1 Like

And there-in lies the problem. The interminable squabbles over what often comes down to subjective opinion. A lot of designers have a shit life for precisely that reason - a coderā€™s job is easy by comparison. As long as our stuff works, weā€™re golden. Designers have to put their stuff out there knowing that even if itā€™s the best work they can produce, someone will still call it shit.

Thatā€™s why I donā€™t want to get into this shit. What some will love, others will hate, and weā€™ll be bogged down with subjective bollocks when I could actually be fulfilling objectives.

As most will have seen yesterday, changing the aesthetics of this place is not a biggy from a technical point of view. Fonts were made bold, then lighter again. We muted the appearance of the tags pretty easily too. From a cultural point of view, itā€™s massive. I know some have wanted to get away from this design since day one. Personally, Iā€™d love a version of the site in roughly the same colours as the away kit, but I know that the further we get from what weā€™re established as, the more people will complain.

People fear and resist change. That is something I cannot control. What I can do is kick the cornflower blue can a long way down the road while we map it out.

Thatā€™s a far cry from the ā€œeverything just worksā€ refrain of Mac owners in the '90s.