:southampton: 🖼 Southampton - Past in pictures - places & people

Originally posted by @Sfcsim

Now kids, that’s what happens as you delete from you photo bucket after posting. Of course the link no longer exists. I will edit once I have downloaded then again.

This is is very painful, just to get a few photos up!

I have no idea of what you are on about. The photos you put on Page 1 are still there.

Originally posted by @Lets-B-Drinking

Now kids, that’s what happens as you delete from you photo bucket after posting. Of course the link no longer exists. I will edit once I have downloaded then again.

This is is very painful, just to get a few photos up!

I have no idea of what you are on about. The photos you put on Page 1 are still there.

They are in a file that I did not delete from my photo bucket account. I deleted as I went so I did not confuse myself… Well that worked well. :wink:

Right you spiteful lot, stop posting pictures of cats! :stuck_out_tongue:

Weston Lane - 1905

Weston Lane - sometime in the 90’s?

Oakbank Road at the junction with Hazel Road. Shop on the corner, is the corner of Laurel Road.

But this was the same place about 30 years ago!

Spring Road, Merry Oak. The small line of shops are at the top of the photo on the left hand side of the road, followed by the Merry Oak P.H.

1 Like

The Itchen Bridge, wiped out Oakbank and Laurel Roads.

Someone just posted this on Facebook. Fantastic amateur cine, (taken by an unknown Frenchman) of Southampton in October 1930…lots of easily recogniseable Southampton locations.

4 Likes

Wow, that’s amazing. The very first clip has to be Burgess Road,moving down towards Swaythling. Not sure when those houses were build though? Thought they were after the war?

I think the first is Bitterne shops, down Lances Hill, Bitterne Triangle, across Cobden Bridge, Portswood Road shops, Bevois Valley, Hoglands Park, the Docks, Empress of Australia, South Western Hotel, Canute Road.

1 Like

Originally posted by @lifeintheslowlane

Wow, that’s amazing. The very first clip has to be Burgess Road,moving down towards Swaythling. Not sure when those houses were build though? Thought they were after the war?

I think the first is Bitterne shops, down Lances Hill, Bitterne Triangle, across Cobden Bridge, Portswood Road shops, Bevios Valley, Hoglands Park, the Docks, Empress of Australia, South Western Hotel, Canute Road.

You are right, the downward slope was to steep for Burgess Road. Wow, just wow. To think these clips are out there from 75 years ago, with very little technology!

1920s, I think.

1 Like

Calling Sadoldgit to this fred…please :laughing:

I am led to believe that he went to school with my grandfather. :laughing:

Therefore he was around when most of these phots taken…his knowledge could be invaluable :wink:

1 Like

I like looking at old photos especially if they’re of places with which I’m familiar. The ones I find the most interesting are those that feature people doing everyday things, transport and buildings.

There’s a very good example of this type of photo in my local pub. It was taken in the early 1900s and features, amongst other things, an old chap in a bath-chair, a bloke on an early-model bicycle, and what looks like a couple of lads playing marbles. Many of the buildings are still standing but have been altered and serve different functions. I’ve spent many a happy moment gazing at it and musing about how much things have changed over the last one hundred years or so.

I’ve also used it as an inspiration for my own amateur photography: I always try to include people doing everyday things, transport and buildings - rather than just an endless catalogue of bland family snapshots - just in case anyone finds themselves looking at my photos in a hundred years time.

1 Like

Cannot think of the name of the road, but the that was knocked down to build the below.

This is what they build… Extension to the uni.

Now this has been pointed out, yes it is Highfield road, in a little group of shops at the top end, near the pub.